Aerial view of Ohio University's Athens campus
Bill Assistance

Bill Assistance

Students in need of support paying bills have a few different options depending on eligibility and need. Helpful Utility Assistance Guide

The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army of Athens & Meigs County

The Salvation Army provides limited financial assistance to low-income households struggling to meet a basic need.

How to Access the Salvation Army

You can contact The Salvation Army by calling 740.797.1305 to schedule an appointment or by emailing

Services Can Include:

  • Utility bills
  • Rent -Work-related expenses (such as vehicle repair)
  • Other related expenses related to basic needs

Populations This Program Serves

  • Adults 18+
  • Individuals
  • Families
  • Low-income households

Energy Assistance: HEAP, PIPP, & HWAP

Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)

Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) is a one-time benefit applied to your utility bill or bulk fuel bill. Eligibility is based on income.

HEAP Program

HEAP Winter Crisis Program

HEAP Winter Crisis Program helps income-eligible individuals maintain utility services if they are facing utility disconnection, have been disconnected, or have 25% (or less) supply of bulk fuel in their tank. The program runs from November 1 until March 31. Eligibility is based on income:

HEAP Winter Crisis Program

HEAP Summer Crisis Program

HEAP Summer Crisis Program provides a one-time benefit to eligible individuals that can be used to pay utility bills, purchase air conditioners/fans, or repair central AC units during the summer months. The program runs from July 1 until September 30. Eligibility is based on many factors, including income, age, certain medical conditions, current standing with utility service, or participation in other energy assistance.

HEAP Summer Crisis Program

Percentage of Income Payment Plan (PIPP)

Percentage of Income Payment Plan (PIPP) helps eligible individuals manage their energy bills year-round. Payments are based on the percentage of household income and are consistent year-round. Eligibility is based on income and utility service provider. Both homeowners and renters are eligible for assistance:

How to Apply

There is one application for HEAP, PIPP, and HWAP:

Apply For HEAP, PIPP, or HWAP

What You'll Need to Apply

Proof of income for each household member Copies of your most recent utility bills A list of all household members Proof of U.S. citizenship/legal residency for all household members. Documents that are accepted include: Social Security Card, birth certificate, U.S. passport, naturalization paper/citizenship certification, permanent VISA, or INS ID card.

Broadband Assistance: ACP

ACP, the Affordable Connectivity Program, is a U.S. government program that helps ensure households can pay for broadband/internet service and connected devices like a laptop or tablet. 

If eligible, the benefit could provide:

  • Up to $30/month discount toward internet service
  • Up to $75/month for households on qualifying Tribal lands
  • A one-time discount of up to $100 to purchase a laptop, desktop computer, or tablet (with a co-payment of $10 and less than $50)
  • A low-cost service plan that may be fully covered through the ACP

Learn More About the ACP


Here are ways your household can qualify:

  • Household income is at or below 200% of the poverty line
  • If you or your child/dependent participate in certain assistance programs such as SNAP, Medicaid, WIC, or other programs
  • Received a Federal Pell Grant in the current award year
  • Check if You Qualify

How to Apply

  • Go to to apply online
  • Print out a paper application to apply by mail
  • Contact your preferred participating provider to select a plan and have the discount applied to your bill. You can use the online tool to find a participating company near you. Participating companies can also help you apply through their company's application process.

Some providers may have an alternative application that they will ask you to complete.

Eligible households must both apply for the program and contact a participating provider to select a service plan.

View a Tutorial on How to Apply

Medication Assistance

Rising Suns is a nonprofit pharmacy that provides free medications to people who are uninsured or have limited insurance.

In order to utilize services, you must:

  • Reside in Athens, Morgan, Washington, Perry, Meigs, Hocking, or Vinton county
  • Be uninsured, without prescription drug coverage, or unable to afford prescription co-payments

You will be asked to fill out an Eligibility Attestation form prior to receiving your medications through their pharmacy. You may either fill out a printed form (located at the pharmacy) or the online form.You may call the pharmacy at 740.4475.025 or email with questions or to see if you qualify. You may also stop in at the pharmacy, although their hours vary. Please visit The pharmacy’s Facebook page, which lists the most current operating hours.