Oct 8, 2010
October is national LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender) History Month and Ohio University has plenty of events planned for celebration.
Student group Open Doors and the LGBT Center are celebrating this month by hosting a series of educational and social events for students.
"It's important to acknowledge the month because so much history has not acknowledged or has missed the contributions from these individuals," said Mickey Hart, LGBT Center director. "It's especially important for college-age folks to understand and be exposed to this history, so they can take this knowledge with them when they leave the university."
Here is a look at some of the upcoming events:
- National Coming Out Day is Monday, Oct. 11. Participants can join in with other people around the nation who have decided to come out.
- The Queer Aquarium takes place 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Monday, Oct. 11, at College Gate. Attendees can meet and talk with LGBT students at the event.
- A SafeZone Workshop will take place noon to 2 p.m. Monday, Oct. 11, in 341 Baker University Center. SafeZone members participate in a two-hour training workshop and receive an OHIO SafeZone card and button to display as a sign of support. Sign up to attend at www.ohio.edu/lgbt/safezone/index.cfm.
- A SpeakOUT! Panel will take place from 7:30 to 9 p.m. Monday Oct. 11 in 354 Baker University Center. Ohio University students will share their personal experiences, answer questions and talk about LGBT life in Athens and more.
- The LGBT History Month Film Series takes place every Friday in October at 7 p.m. in Lindley 321. The films include "The Watermelon Women," "Party Glances," "Querelle" and "Bride of Frankenstein."
- Open Doors Meetings & Discussion at 8 p.m. every Wednesday at United Campus Ministry, located at 18. N. College St.
- Homecoming March with Open Doors, LGBTA student groups, Athens Area PPFLAG, Equality Ohio and UCM will participate in the Ohio University Homecoming Parade at 10 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 16.
- LGBT Center's Annual Fall Fest takes place from 7 to 10 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 26, in 354 Baker Center. This is an autumn-inspired social event with rainbow crafts and refreshments.
- Open Dance Parties are planned from 10:30 p.m. to 2 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 9 and Oct. 30 at Casa Nueva.
The LGBT Center, located on the third floor of Baker University Center, looks to create a campus environment inclusive and supportive of sexual orientation and gender identity or expression.
The center is a safe place on campus to seek confidential assistance and support dealing with discrimination, harassment and other concerns and provides support to all students, LGBT or not.
For more information, visit www.ohio.edu/lgbt/resources/LGBT-History-Month.cfm.