college for the incarcerated
contact us




Hundreds of families each year choose Ohio University’s Correctional Education for their loved ones' higher education. Our staff is dedicated to working with inmates and their families to provide college-level courses and certificate and degree programs in a print-based format that is acceptable in most prison facilities.

About Our Program

Ohio University is regionally accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. One of the few remaining paper-based formats available to prison inmates, all correspondence with the student takes place through the postal system, including advising, invoicing, shipping of course materials, lessons, and grades. Students with access may contact our staff via email and telephone in some situations.

Students may take courses as degree-seeking students to earn a degree through Ohio University or to transfer to another university upon release. Students not seeking a degree may also take courses for personal enrichment. In all cases, students must have completed any course prerequisites and provided verification in order to be enrolled in a course.

All degree-seeking and nondegree students are assigned an academic advisor to assist with their programs. Students completing a paralegal certificate are not assigned an advisor.

Admission Process

Prospective students should follow the three steps below to gain admission into the program. All correspondence must be sent to the office address indicated. Submissions to the wrong office will delay processing.

  1. Complete the Admission Application (degree application or nondegree application) and send it to Undergraduate Admissions:

    Undergraduate Admissions
    Chubb Hall 120
    1 Ohio University
    Athens OH 45701

  2. Send in the non-refundable $25 application fee. Payment must be received at the time the application is submitted. If paying by check, the check should be identified with the student’s name and corrections ID number. Make all checks/money orders payable to Ohio University.

  3. Request from any previous college or university attended, an official, unopened transcript. This should be sent directly from their registrar’s office to Undergraduate Admissions at the address above.

    If the student has little or no previous college or university experience, an official, unopened transcript of the student’s high school or GED completion is required for degree-seeking students. Non-degree seeking students may submit an unofficial, previously opened copy, but official copies are always preferable for advising purposes. Our office cannot request transcripts for students.

Admitted students will be contacted by their assigned advisor after all items above have been received and processed.

Students who wish to utilize College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) credits must submit their course specific scores to our office prior to course registration.



Quick Links

quick link to MyOHIO Portal quick link to Blackboard quick link to important dates quick link to OIT tech support
Nonterm-based Web Catalog