The First Year Council will be charged with the following responsibilities:
1. Gain knowledge of all initiatives/programs/policies on campus affecting first year students (and would be the successor to the Foundations of Excellence Task Force).
2. Set campus-wide priorities among competing first year initiatives.
Coordinate and align first year programs, policies, and practices.
3. Plan and advocate for first year student success initiatives.
4. Increase the visibility of first year issues and programs within the university community.
5. Sponsor regular First Year forums/open meetings/workshops to diffuse knowledge about, and commitment to, first year issues and programs across all campuses.
6. Advocate for faculty development in first year teaching.
7. Design and advocate for a faculty reward structure to encourage excellence in first year teaching and advising.
8. Identify current first year student advocates among faculty on all campuses and recruit more.
9. Consult widely with instructors of first year classes including but not limited to continuing faculty and teaching assistants.
Faculty : 6 Voting
Students : 1 Undergraduate Voting
Administrative : 3 Voting; 6 Non-Voting Ex Officio
Classified : 0
Total : 16
Laurie Russell Hatch, '14 (Sociology & Anthropology) firstname.lastname@example.org
Don Miles, '13 (Biological Sciences) email@example.com
David Ridpath, Co-Chair '14 (COB) firstname.lastname@example.org
Candice Thomas-Maddox, '13 (Lancaster Deans Office) email@example.com
Juli Miller, '14, (Social & Public Health) firstname.lastname@example.org
Joann Benigno (Communication Sciences & Disorders) email@example.com
Amrit Saini, Academic Affairs Commissioner, Student Senate
Patricia McSteen, '14, (Student Affairs) firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeff Giesey, 14 (Assistant Deans) email@example.com
Jenny Klein, Co-Chair '15 (Assistant Dean for Persistence & Student Success) firstname.lastname@example.org
Kim Keffer (University College-Southern) email@example.com
Administrators, Ex Officio (Non-Voting)
Joni Wadley, Institutional Research Designee
Deb Benton, Registrar Designee
Tricia Barrick, Bursar Designee
Valerie Miller, Financial Aid Designee
Jenny Klein, Allen Student Help Center Designee
Tory Rowlands, Residential Housing Designee
The council will be co-chaired by a Group I faculty member and the Director of Retention. The rest of the voting membership will be: four Group I faculty members, one of whom is the chair of EMAC; three members representative of the Assistant Deans, Student Affairs, and continuing faculty; and one undergraduate student member. Cross-membership of this Council and EMAC is expected and encouraged. If possible, one of the faculty members should come from the regional campus for the first three years after the Council is established.
In addition there will be the following ex officio members or their representatives:
Allen Student Help Center