Laboratory & Radiation Safety
Laboratory and Radiation Safety is a division of Ohio University's Risk Management and Safety Department.
- Monitors dosimetry and bioassay programs
- Oversees all radioactive material facilities as to safety and compliance
- Receives, processes, delivers and keeps inventory of all radioactive material
- Conducts Radiation Safety Training
- Performs Instrument calibrations
- Leak tests and sealed source inventories
- Administers the Radiation Generating Equipment Program
- Interacts with various Federal and State agencies
- Supports and interacts with Ohio University’s Radiation Safety Committee, which establishes policy and assures regulatory enforcement within the University community
Laboratory Safety Department:
- Performs laboratory audits
- Assists with waste disposal and other issues
- Offers technical assistance to University laboratories that conduct sophisticated research; these laboratories have unique materials and concerns requiring:
- Safe handling procedures
- Other control measures
- Specialized safety equipment such as:
- Fume hoods
- Safety showers
- Other controls needing to be maintained and tested
- Ensures laboratory personnel and departments maintain their OSHA Chemical Hygiene plans
Winter 2015 Radiation Safety Newsletter:
The winter 2015 Radiation Safety Newsletter is now available. Click the following link to view (PDF).
Fall 2014 Radiation Safety Newsletter:
The new fall Radiation Safety Newsletter can be viewed at the following link (PDF).
Summer 2014 Radiation Safety Newsletter:
The summer edition of Radiation Safety's newsletter is now available at the following link (PDF).
Spring 2014 Radiation Safety Newsletter:
Radiation Safety's spring 2014 newsletter is now available at the following link (PDF).