Julie White's work is primarily in the field of political theory and ethics and public policy. She is particularly interested in feminist ethics and teaches in the Women's Studies program as well. Dr. White's research on welfare policy is the subject of her book Democracy, Justice and the Welfare State: Reconstructing Public Care. Related work has also appeared in journals such as Education Evaluation and Policy Analysis, Law and Social Inquiry, and Affilia. In conjunction with Dr. Tickamyer and Dr. Henderson of Ohio University's Sociology Department and Dr. Tadlock of the Voinovich Center, Dr. White continues to pursue research on welfare policy. With funding from the Joyce Foundation as well as NRI, this working group is currently assessing the impact of welfare reform in rural Ohio. Dr. White has received the University Professor Award and the College of Arts and Sciences Outstanding Teacher Award. She received her A.B. from Barnard College of Columbia University and her Ph.D. from the University of Wisconsin (1996).
- Ph.D. at University of Wisconson-Madison (1996)
- Political Theory
- Ethics & Public Policy
- Feminist Ethics
- American Political Science Association Award for Outstanding Teaching in Political Science, 1999 & 2004
- Dean’s Outstanding Teaching Award, College of Arts & Sciences, 1999
- Distinguished Service Award, Office of National Competitive Students (ONCA), 2007
- Distinguished Mentor Award, Honors Tutorial College, 2008
- Presidential Teaching Award Nominee, 2006
- University Professor Award, 1997 & 2004
COURSES RECENTLY TAUGHT
- CAS 113: Modern World
- Pols 270: Political Theory
- Pols 372/572: Modern Political Thought
- Pols 373/573: Contemporary Political Thought
- Pols 478/578: Feminist Political Theories
- Pols 490D/590D: Democratic Theory
- Pols 490F/590F
- Pols 490L/590L
- Pols 590: Studies in Government
- Pols 600: Scope & Theory in Political Science
- Pols 670: Seminar in Political Theory
- UP 452S
- WGS 589: Seminar in Women's & Gender Studies
White, Julie Anne. 2000. Democracy, Justice and the Welfare State: Reconstructing Public Care. University Park: Pennsylvania State University Press.
Articles & Chapters
White, Julie Anne. 2007. "The Hollow and the Ghetto: Race, Space and the Politics of Poverty." Politics and Gender.
Tadlock, Barry, Ann Tickamyer, Julie White, Debra Henderson, and Benjamin Pearson-Nelson. 2005. "Leadership in an Age of Devolution: County Commissioners' Role in the Implementation of Ohio's Welfare Reform." Public Administration Quarterly, 29, 1.
White, Julie A., and Joan Tronto. 2004. "Political Practices of Care: Needs and Rights." Ratio Juris, 17, 4.
White, Julie A. 2001. "Care and the Labor of Citizenship." Polity.
White, Julie A., and John Gilliom. 1998. "Up From the Streets: Handler and the Ambiguities of Empowerment and Dependency." Law & Social Inquiry 23, 1: 203-22.