55.002: Use of University Resources
|Approved on September 7, 2005||Signatures and dates
on archival copy
|Herman ("Butch") Hill, Chair
Policy and Procedure Review Committee
Interim Vice President for Finance and Administration
- The purpose of this policy is to provide uniform guidelines for the use of University resources.
- The use of University monies or resources (such as vehicles and equipment) must have a business purpose. This includes (but is not limited to) computers, internet, and phone usage, and the use of intangibles such as software and employee time.
Abuse of University resources may result in the need to make restitution to the University and in disciplinary action, up to and including termination. Use of University resources is considered abuse when either of the following occurs:
- The use is outside the boundaries of that which is customarily provided or reasonably needed by the employee to function in his or her job. For example, drinking water may be provided to employees for everyday use, but filling up jugs of drinking water from a University source, to take home for personal use, is abuse.
- The use conflicts with federal, state, or local laws or regulations, or with any other existing University policies. Other University policies that deal with resource use include:
- Policy 01.025, "Use of Ohio University Facilities"
- Policy 17.900, "Consulting"
- Policy 19.054, "Equipment Inventory Control"
- Policy 47.001, "Use of University Vehicles"
- Policy 55.003, "Purchasing Authority: Vendor Selection, Personal Purchases, Land and Building Acquisition, Conflict-of-Interest," see especially the Procedures Section, subsection III, "Personal Purchases"
- Policy 55.071, "Disposition of Surplus or Excess Equipment"
- Policy 55.072, "Sale of University Property"
- Policy 55.075, "Cell Phones"
- Policy 91.003, "Computer and Network Use"
Long distance telephone charges for personal calls should never be incurred by the University; they should instead be charged directly to your personal Bobcat Account Code (see the "Long Distance" section of http://technology.ohio.edu/telephone/) or to some other personal calling card.
Brief personal use of the University's communication resources that operate on a flat-rate basis (land line phones for local calls, internet, or e-mail) is allowable during the work day. Such use should be infrequent in nature and of short duration. After-hours personal use of internet and e-mail services is permitted, subject to Policy 91.003, "Computer and Network Use."
- When using a University resource, always check with your supervisor if you are in any way uncertain of the business purpose or appropriate nature of that use.
- Be aware that all capital equipment must be tagged by the Equipment Inventory (EI) Office, as described in Policy 19.054, "Equipment Inventory Control."
- If an employee will be taking University equipment or items off University property for business use, such activity should be documented, as described in Policy 19.054, "Equipment Inventory Control."
- Supervisors should always be aware of the resources designated to them, and should track the use of those resources. This includes timely response to the Equipment Inventory Office's reporting requests, and proper oversight of common supply areas, phone bills, and the like.
- Proposed revisions of this policy should be reviewed by:
- Policy and Procedure Review Committee
- Equipment Inventory Office Manager
- Director of Communication Network Services
- There are no forms that are specific to this policy.
Copyright © 2005 Ohio University. All Rights Reserved.
Dick Piccard revised this file (http://www.ohio.edu/policy/55-002.html) on May 15, 2013.
Please E-mail any comments or suggestions to "firstname.lastname@example.org".