12.030: Course Credit and Grading in Emergencies
|Status:||Approved on March 23, 2012||Signatures and dates
on archival copy
|Effective:||August 27, 2012||
|Initiated by:||Debra M. Benton|
|Endorsed by:||Pam Benoit|
Executive Vice President and Provost
|Approved by:||Roderick J. McDavis|
- I. Overview
This policy provides procedures to be followed by faculty, by academic units (including departments, schools, and deans' offices), and by the Office of the University Registrar if a semester or session is terminated prematurely.
If a school term is terminated prematurely, students may or may not receive credit for that term, depending upon whether or not sufficient time has passed since the beginning of the term to justify awarding credit. That determination will be made by the University in consultation with the Ohio Board of Regents.
- II. Early Termination
In the event that an academic semester or session is terminated too soon to justify awarding credit, the following policies are in effect:
- An entry on each student's record will be made indicating that the semester or session had been terminated and that no credit or grades could be given.
- Students will receive a full refund of tuition and fees and a pro-rated refund of fees paid for housing and consumable items, including special course fees and technology fees.
- III. Late Termination
In the event that an academic semester or session is terminated after enough time has passed to justify awarding credit, the following policies are in effect:
- Students with a record of non-attendance or who are delinquent in their work (missed quizzes, examinations, reports, etc.) may, at the discretion of their instructor, receive either no credit or a failing grade for the term. Instructors shall notify such students of the reasons for receiving no credit or a failing grade.
- The mode of completing the course shall be recommended by the instructor and approved by his or her department or school, or a committee thereof. The specific grade will be assigned by the instructor.
- Practices adopted in item B, immediately above, shall be placed in writing and a copy filed in the department or school office and in the office of the college Dean, and a copy sent to each student involved. The Faculty Senate shall recommend a date by which coursework should be completed and grades submitted.
- IV. Interrupted Academic Terms
In the event that an academic semester or session is temporarily interrupted and the full duration of instruction is subsequently completed, normal grading policies will apply.
Proposed revisions of this policy should be reviewed by:
- Vice President for Finance and Administration
- Faculty Senate
- Student Senate
- Graduate Student Senate
- Forms, References, and History
- A. Forms
There are no forms that are specific to this policy.
- B. References
There are no external items that are particularly relevant to this policy.
- C. History
Draft versions of this policy that were circulated for review, their cover memos, their forms, and Reviewers' comments on them are available on the password-protected Review site, at https://www.ohio.edu/policy2/12-030/.
Prior versions of this policy were approved on March 27, 2006, and October 8, 1970.