Athens County Relief Initiative
September 30 UPDATE
Dear Interested Volunteers,
Thank you to the hundreds of students who have already volunteered their time to help with relief efforts. A special thanks to the Community Service Leadership Council (CSLC) volunteers who led groups of OHIO students both Saturday and Sunday to help families in need. Thanks also to Lowes for their donation of rakes, shovels, and other needed clean up items.
"Involvement Central" on the 3rd floor of Baker will continue to collect donated non-perishable food items, toiletries, and clothes and get the items to those in need. Ohio University will continue to be involved in long term recovery efforts.
We will be continually updating our website at www.ohio.edu/communityservice with specific opportunities as we learn about them.
Friday, September 17 UPDATE
In the wake of the weather emergency in Athens County on Thursday evening, September 16th, Ohio University students have been organizing to show their support and offer assistance to the local community.
Local emergency response officials have asked that we help to channel and coordinate offers of support as they are still assessing needs and focusing the collective county efforts. In the meantime, there are some things that students can do immediately to support each other.
- The Office of the Dean of Students has organized a collection effort in conjunction with the Office of the Bursar, and monetary donations are being accepted to support Athens County community agencies.
- The Campus Involvement Center is working with students and student organizations to staff "Involvement Central" located in the atrium on the third floor of Baker University Center. This will serve as the main point of contact for those hoping to volunteer with clean-up or relief effort response.
- Any community need or offer of support can be communicated to the Campus Involvement Center by calling 740-593-4025 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Donation stations are being established at Involvement Central and the dining halls for the collection of non-perishable food items, clothing and toiletries to support those affected by the storm.
- This website will be continually updated as relief efforts are organized.
I appreciate all that has been already offered in support of our community. This will be a long recovery process and cannot be immediately accomplished today or this weekend, so we must be persistent in our efforts. I look forward to working with you as we help our neighbors.
Associate Vice President of Student Affairs &
Dean of Students
Division of Student Affairs
Creating Community, Cultivating Leaders
- Visit this website to find out about direct relief efforts you can join
- Donate money in support of Athens County community agencies by clicking this link, or by donating in person at the Bursar's Office in Chubb Hall
- Stop by "Involvement Central" on the 3rd Floor of Baker University Center to leave your name and contact information for joining clean-up or other relief efforts
- Donate clothing, non-perishable food items and/or toiletries. Collection points are in the dining halls and at Involvement Central on the third floor of Baker University Center.