First Year Council
Charge and Membership
The First Year Council will be charged with the following responsibilities:
- Gain knowledge of all initiatives/programs/policies on campus affecting first year students (and would be the successor to the Foundations of Excellence Task Force).
- Set campus-wide priorities among competing first year initiatives. Coordinate and align first year programs, policies, and practices.
- Plan and advocate for first year student success initiatives.
- Increase the visibility of first year issues and programs within the university community.
- Sponsor regular First Year forums/open meetings/workshops to diffuse knowledge about, and commitment to, first year issues and programs across all campuses.
- Advocate for faculty development in first year teaching.
- Design and advocate for a faculty reward structure to encourage excellence in first year teaching and advising.
- Identify current first year student advocates among faculty on all campuses and recruit more.
- Consult widely with instructors of first year classes including but not limited to continuing faculty and teaching assistants.
Director of African Studies
Professor, English & African Literature
Senior Events Director
Student Accessibility Services
Assistant Dean for Operations and Learning Community Programs
Learning Community Programs
Associate Director Assessment
& Academic Initiatives
Valerie K. Miller, MBA
Director of Undergraduate Orientations
All University committees follow the academic-year calendar.
All students serve one-year terms. Faculty, administrators, and staff generally serve three-year terms. Ex-Officio appointments have voting privileges unless otherwise noted.