|Status:||Approved on February 8, 2012||Signatures and dates
on archival copy
|Initiated by:||Kent J. Smith, Jr.|
Vice President for Student Affairs
|Endorsed by:||Pam Benoit|
Executive Vice President and Provost
|Approved by:||Roderick J. McDavis|
- I. Overview
This policy serves to balance individuals' and groups' free speech rights with the university's property rights.
Chalking, as a form of promotion and expression, is allowed on the Ohio University campus, subject to the restrictions specified in the Guidelines and Consequences section, immediately below.
- II. Guidelines and Consequences
Chalking is limited to student organizations that are registered with the Campus Involvement Center, Ohio University departments, faculty and staff members, and individual registered students.
Those wishing to chalk must comply with the following guidelines:
- Only water-soluble stick type chalk (sidewalk chalk) is allowed. Absolutely no spray chalk, markers, paints (latex or oil-based), or similar products may be used.
- Chalking is allowed only on horizontal surfaces (e.g., sidewalks, streets, etc.):
- that are in open areas;
- that are not covered by an overhang; and
- that can reasonably be expected to be reached by rain;
- No chalking is allowed on vertical surfaces. This includes buildings, walls, benches, picnic tables, signs, poles, the Monument on College Green, newspaper boxes, columns, mailboxes, light poles, trees, etc.
- Chalking is allowed only on concrete or asphalt ("black-top"). With the exception of Morton Hill, absolutely no chalking is allowed on bricks (e.g., sidewalk, street, patio, etc.) or stone.
- This policy provides permission for chalking on University property only.
Individuals or organizations violating this policy will be held financially responsible for the cost of clean-up; may be referred to the Office of University Judiciaries or the Ohio University Police Department; and may be subject to civil or criminal charges (e.g., vandalism), in addition to discipline under the student or employee disciplinary process appropriate to the nature of their relationship to the university.
Proposed revisions of this policy should be reviewed by:
- Dean of Students
- Associate Vice President for Facilities
- Assistant Dean of Students, Campus Involvement Center
- Student Senate
- Graduate Student Senate
- Forms, References, and History
- A. Forms
There are no forms that are specific to this policy.
- B. References
There are no external items that are particularly relevant to this policy.
- C. History
Draft versions of this policy that were circulated for review, their cover memos, their forms, and Reviewers' comments on them are available on the password-protected Review site, at https://www.ohio.edu/policy2/23-055/.
There have been no prior versions of this policy.