Hey there Bobcats and welcome to Week 11! Fall semester is gearing up but this is a short work week because classes will not meet and most University offices will be closed on Friday for Veterans Day! There's still a lot going on - tons of art, interesting lectures, and even a festival with catering from Fluff!
Read on for some highlights and be sure to check out the official OHIO Calendar of University Events (CUE) for a full list:
OURC/Baker Fund Workshop for Faculty and Staff (Tuesday, Nov. 7, 10-11 a.m. and Wednesday, Nov. 8, 2-3 p.m., Alden Library 301U): OHIO faculty, staff and administrators are invited to attend this workshop to learn more about the competitive OURC and Baker Fund awards. The OURC offers awards of up to $8,000 and the Baker Fund offers up to $12,000 to support research, scholarship, and creative activity. You need attend only one session.
Panel Discussion: Teaching, Learning and Reporting about Science (Tuesday, Nov. 7, 6:30-9 p.m., Baker Center Theatre): Cohosted by The New York Times and the Patton College of Education, panelists will discuss the obstacles of teaching, learning, and reporting controversial societal issues related to science and the environment. This event is free and open to the public, and will be live-streamed on The Patton College’s YouTube Channel (/OhioPattonCollege). Please follow this link to submit a question you would like the panelists to address during the discussion and/or to RSVP.
OHIO Football vs. Toledo (Wednesday, Nov. 8, 7 p.m., Peden Stadium): OHIO Football is on a roll and it's your last chance this year to see them play at home! They host the Toledo Rockets for this final home game of the regular season. Admission is free for OHIO students with a valid ID and all others can visit the Athletics ticket website to purchase tickets online or at the gate. If you can't make it out to Peden, the game will be broadcast live on ESPN2 but don't miss your last chance to experience the thrill of a Bobcat football home game!
Writers Harvest (Thursday, Nov. 9, 7:30 p.m., Walter Hall Rotunda): This annual event, presented by Ohio University's Creative Writing Program, is part of a nationwide reading series benefiting regional hunger relief efforts. There is a $5 admission donation, and all proceeds will go to the Hocking Athens Perry Community Action's food assistance programs and the Southeast Ohio Food Bank. This year's Writers Harvest will host three local writers: poet Bianca Spriggs, nonfiction writer David Wanczyk and fiction writer David E. Yee. A reception and book signing follows with refreshments from Fluff Bakery. Don't miss out on this awesome event!
Check out a few more events happening around campus this week:
- Free Health Clinic: Monday, Nov. 6, 8 a.m. - 3:30 p.m., Grosvenor Hall West 055
- INPP Seminar | Twisted Electrons: Tuesday, Nov. 7, 4-5 p.m., Edwards Accelerator Lab, Roger W. Finlay Conference Room
- SMART Dialogue Series: Wednesday, Nov. 8, 1-2 p.m., SMART Lab, Scripps Hall 212
- Fall Opera Scenes: Nov. 8-10, 8 p.m., School of Music Recital Hall, Glidden Hall
- CMSS Colloquium for Suspensions of Noncolloidal Particles in Non-Newtonian Fluids: Thursday, Nov. 9, 4:10-5 p.m., Walter Hall 245
- Echohouse Thanksgiving Dinner: Thursday, Nov. 9, 6-9 p.m. (RSVP required by Nov. 6)
- OHIO Volleyball vs. Kent State: Thursday, Nov. 9, 7 p.m., Convocation Center
- National Tour: Wizard of Oz: Thursday, Nov. 9, 7:30 p.m., Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium
- WellWorks Guided Meditation: Friday, Nov. 10, 12:30-1 p.m., Grover Center
- OHIO Men's Basketball vs. Alabama A&M: Saturday, Nov. 11, 2 p.m., Convocation Center
- OHIO Volleyball vs. Central Michigan: Saturday, Nov. 11, 7 p.m., Convocation Center
- Sunday Family Art Encounters: Sunday, Nov. 12, 2-4 p.m., Kennedy Museum of Art, The Ridges
- OHIO Women's Basketball vs. High Point: Sunday, Nov. 12, 2 p.m., Convocation Center
- Scheduling Support Workshops: How to successfully register for classes: Monday, Nov. 6, 5:15-6:30 p.m., Baker University Center 239; Tuesday, Nov. 7, 5:15-6:30 p.m. AND 6:45-8 p.m., Baker University Center 242; Wednesday, 5:15-6:30 p.m., Baker University Center 239
- Mel Helitzer Lecture on Public Relations with Brett Pulley: Monday, Nov. 6, Seigfred Hall 519, 6 p.m.
- ALiCE Training for students in UC 1900: Tuesday, Nov. 7, 3-4:30 p.m., Alden Library 319
- 21st Century Leadership Certificate Workshop "Building an Awesome Team": Tuesday, Nov. 7, 6:30-7:30 p.m., Amanda J. Cunningham Leadership Center, Baker University Center 366
- Professional Leadership Certificate Workshop "Who are you and why should I care?": Tuesday, Nov. 7, 7:30-8:30 p.m., Amanda J. Cunningham Leadership Center, Baker University Center 366
- Workshop: Journalistic Research: Wednesday, Nov. 8, 1:30-3 p.m., Alden Library Learning Lab 251
- Sociology | Career and Leadership Workshops: Wednesday, Nov. 8, 6-7 p.m., Bentley Hall Annex
- 2017 Child Life Alumni Symposium: Saturday, Nov. 11, 12-6 p.m., Grover Center
This Compass series shines a spotlight on unique and high-profile events and important deadlines taken from OHIO's official online Calendar of University Events. Visit calendar.ohio.edu/admin/setupevents.aspx to log in with your OHIO ID and add your organization or department's events to the CUE. Feeling lost? Visit www.ohio.edu/calendar/help/ or e-mail email@example.com for help.