Ohio University to host elected officials at inaugural Civic Engagement Forum
On Thursday March 24, The Center for Campus and Community Engagement (CCCE), will host an inaugural Civic Engagement Forum. Building on the Center and Ohio University’s efforts towards promoting non-partisan democratic and civic engagement on campus, the forum will serve as a platform for students to engage directly with elected public officials in non-partisan ways, as well as an opportunity to discuss some of the key issues that matter and affect them.
“We hope the Civic Engagement Forum will inspire and motivate students to engage directly with elected officials and consider how their voices and votes matter and activate the collective impact students can have in the political process,” said Mary Nally, director of the CCCE. “This event offers opportunities to deepen classroom discussions as they relate to state, national and international current events.”
Panelists include Ohio State Representative Jay Edwards; Beth Clodfelter, southeast Ohio regional representative from the office of Ohio Senator Sherrod Brown; and Athens City Mayor Steve Patterson. Additional panels will also feature student leaders representing various organizations on campus, including Student Senate, Graduate Student Senate, the International Student Union, the African Student Union, Students for Liberty, Ohio University College Democrats, and the American Civil Liberties Union.
In order to register for the forum and find a link to participate virtually visit the GivePulse website.
Participation will count toward students’ Guarantee+ civic milestones.
10 a.m. International Student and Faculty Perspectives on US Policies panelists:
- Deependra Budhathoki, International Student Union (ISU)
- Rustom Amartey, African Student Union (ASU)
- Diane Cahill, International Student and Faculty Services (ISFS)
11 a.m. Student Votes and Voices Matter: Perspectives from Elected Officials panelists:
- U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown SE Ohio representative Beth Clodfelter
- Ohio State Representative Jay Edwards
- Athens City Mayor Steve Patterson
12 p.m. Student Leaders on the Value of Civic Engagement panelists:
- Haley Janoski, Ohio University College Democrats
- Micaela Beatham-Garcia, American Civil Liberties Union
- Nick Fisher, Students for Liberty
- Joseph Elikem Kofi Ziorklui, Graduate Student Senate
- Elaina Tartal, Student Senate Vice President