Peace Corps Prep Program
The Peace Corps Prep program at Ohio University seeks to equip students with the skills knowledge necessary for successful volunteer service with the Peace Corps or other international development careers. Additionally, the program will provide guidance in selecting a volunteer position and will aid students in submitting their Peace Corps application.
The Peace Corps is a service opportunity for motivated change-makers to immerse themselves in a community abroad, working side by side with local leaders to tackle the most pressing challenges of our generation. It was founded in 1960 and hundreds of thousands of volunteers have since served in over 150 different countries, working on international development projects and to advance the understanding of the United States abroad and vice versa. Are you ready to join the prestigious community of Peace Corps volunteers?
Peace Corps Service Areas:
- Agriculture - work with small-scale farmers and families to increase food security and production and adapt to climate change while promoting environmental conservation.
- Community Economic Development - work with development banks, nongovernmental organizations, and municipalities to encourage economic opportunities in communities.
- Education - work in elementary, secondary, or post secondary schools, teaching subjects such as math, science, or conversational English; as resource teachers or teacher trainers; or develop libraries and technology resource centers.
- Environment - lead grassroots efforts to protect the environment and strengthen understanding of environmental issues. Teach environmental awareness in schools and to local organizations, empowering communities to make their own conservation decisions.
- Health - work within their communities to promote important topics such as nutrition, maternal and child health, basic hygiene, and water sanitation.
- Youth and Development - work with youth in communities to promote engagement and active citizenship, including gender awareness, employability, health and HIV/AIDS education, environmental awareness, sports and fitness programs, and information technology.
Connect with a Recruiter
Served in Kenya as an Education Volunteer
Upcoming Recruitment Events
The Peace Corps host a number of events, both online and in person, throughout the year to aid students in the recruitment process. The full list of upcoming events can be found here.
Application Process Aids
Contact Dr. Cat Cutcher,
Peace Corp Prep Coordinator
Yamada International House 106
Ohio University, Athens, OH 45701