Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine
As the state's only osteopathic medical school, OHIO’s Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM) is a leader in providing a patient-centered, clinically integrated medical education continuum. Though based in Southeast Ohio, OU-HCOM reaches statewide through our collaboration with 26 teaching hospitals throughout Ohio. This hospital consortium, called the Centers for Osteopathic Research and Education (CORE), is recognized as one of the largest, most advanced and best-supported osteopathic medical education consortiums in the country.
As a national leader in the osteopathic medical profession, OU-HCOM has experienced tremendous growth over the past ten years. From the establishment of the Centers for Osteopathic Research and Education to the opening of the Osteopathic Heritage Foundations & Charles R. and Marilyn Y. Stuckey Academic and Research Center, there is no better time to support the Heritage College.
Our nation today faces a full-blown health care crisis. Urban and rural areas alike are painfully short on primary care physicians and long on uninsured residents. Ohio is far from immune to these issues. Projections indicate that the number of practicing primary care physicians statewide is markedly inadequate, with certain regions—particularly rural and inner-city areas—projecting severe shortages.
To address the health care challenges facing our nation, OU-HCOM recently undertook a comprehensive strategic planning process. The resulting plan, Vision 2020: Leading the Transformation of Primary Care in Ohio, sets a rigorous course, making the following pledges:
- to provide a clinically integrated, learning-centered, osteopathic medical education continuum for students, interns, residents, and fellows,
- to embrace diversity and public service, and
- to improve the health and well-being of underserved populations.
This is an ambitious vision, one that will require a substantial investment of time and resources. This investment began in earnest with the historic $105 million commitment from the Osteopathic Heritage Foundations. But this is only the beginning.
Our hope is that this transformational gift energizes our alumni and friends to invest further in OU-HCOM. In fact, the award gift requires Ohio University and the Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine to raise $40 million in additional support over the next 16 years for the initiatives funded by the gift. With your support, we will be able to achieve these goals and continue to provide increased support to students and faculty and strengthen our community health programs.
We believe that you should be able to support what matters most to you, so you can designate your gift to any area you desire. We have several exciting current initiatives that will benefit from your generosity:
- Expand student scholarships and close the “physician gap.” By the year 2025, some experts predict that there will be a shortage of at least 124,000 physicians in the U.S., particularly primary care physicians. To help turn those numbers around, OU-HCOM will expand its class size, offer more student scholarships, and build an extension campus in central Ohio;
- Increase our endowed chairs and professorships to recruit and retain the most talented, passionate individuals as our faculty. Such positions honor and recognize the men and women who hold them by providing a stable, dependable source of income that fuels innovative research endeavors;
- Strengthen our community health programs and continue to provide high-quality health screenings, medical services, and education at little or no cost to individuals. Additional support for our mobile health units and Heritage Community Clinic will enable us to serve more patients, provide additional free screenings, deliver more comprehensive community health and wellness programs, and influence the overall well-being of the people in southeastern Ohio.
Now approaching our 40th year, our partners and friends have played an important role in shaping the college’s success. From a $105 million gift from the Osteopathic Heritage Foundations – the largest private donation to a public college or university in Ohio – to the recent dedication of the Heritage Clinical Training and Assessment Center & Community Clinic, your support ensures that we can continue our quest to become the leading osteopathic education, research and care institutions in the nation.
Your gift – no matter the amount – makes a huge difference in the life of our college. To make an immediate gift to OU-HCOM online using your credit or debit card, please visit www.ohio.edu/give
To mail a gift, please make your check payable to The Ohio University Foundation. If you wish to designate your gift to a certain area, please write that in the memo line of the check. The mailing address is:
The Ohio University Foundation
PO Box 869
Athens, OH 45701-0869
If you prefer to make your gift over the phone, have questions about giving to The Heritage College, or would like to discuss other giving opportunities, please contact:
Senior Director of Development, Central Advancement
McGuffey Hall 208