Gladys W. and David H. Patton College of Education
The Gladys W. and David H. Patton College of Education prepares the finest leaders and change agents for the diverse future of the education and human service professions.
The Patton College of Education fosters graduates who are:
- Informed, responsible practitioners
- Committed to diversity
- Ethical, reflective decision makers and problem solvers
- Principled, expert leaders
- Committed to their professional identity and growth
Under Dean Renée A. Middleton’s leadership, we aspire to become one of the top 100 colleges of education in the nation.
Home to the first public teacher preparation program in Ohio, The Patton College of Education prepares educators, practitioners, and human service professionals to be leaders in their respective professions. While many contemplate changing the system of schooling in the United States, The Patton College is actively engaged in doing so.
The Patton College works continually to enhance the educational experience for all of our students – at the undergraduate and graduate levels. As an alumni or friend of the College you share in the excellence that is made possible by the generous support of private donors.
Your commitment to and involvement with The Patton College assures our successes in preparing the next generation of administrators, coaches, teachers, counselors and other human service professionals. When you make a financial contribution to The Patton College, you are helping shape the lives of our graduates and the world they touch.
With your support, we seek to cultivate a more engaging academic experience for our students, involve more students in research and scholarship opportunities, encourage faculty excellence and implement state-of-the-art approaches to education.
We believe that you should be able to support what matters most to you, so you can designate your gift to any area you desire. We have several exciting current initiatives that will benefit from your generosity:
- Enhancing undergraduate scholarships to attract students to our five departments in need of qualified educators and professionals, including Counseling and Higher Education, Human and Consumer Sciences Education, Educational Studies, Recreation and Sport Pedagogy, and Teacher Education;
- Increasing funding for graduate fellowships and student-centered programs like the Connavino Honors Program and Rural Urban Collaborative;
- Offering professional internships that foster a productive merger between teaching and scholarship;
- Investing in diversity initiatives that not only benefit students, but also strengthen OHIO’s ties to local communities, enhance the lives of school children, and help teachers in economically challenged areas;
- Increasing our endowed chairs, professorships and post-doctoral fellowships;
- Providing an environment that fosters learning, growth, and achievement by visualizing McCracken Hall as a state-of-the-art facility with full handicapped accessibility. In the comprehensive renovation process, we also will strive to obtain LEED Silver Certification by the U.S. Green Building Council, which recognizes environmentally sustainable design, construction and operation.
Private philanthropy has already had a rich and dramatic impact on The Patton College. With the unwavering loyalty of a dedicated network of alumni and friends, we have been able to establish the Robert L. Morton Chair of Mathematics Education to excel the application of research to education program design and delivery. The increasing number of endowed scholarships that your support has enabled continues to enhance the diversity of our student body. And the annual Samuel I. Hicks Executive-in-Residence program gives our students and faculty opportunities to interact with and learn from national figures that provide leadership in school and university settings.
Your generosity enables us to stand with OHIO in its quest to become one of the most important universities in the nation. Your gift – no matter the amount – makes a huge difference in the lives of our students. You may consider making a gift that will support student scholarships, help recruit eminent scholars, build infrastructure, allow spending in areas of greatest need and grow endowments that will secure a strong foundation for The Patton College in perpetuity.
To make an immediate gift to The Patton College online using your credit or debit card, please visit www.ohio.edu/give
To mail a gift, please make your check payable to The Ohio University Foundation. If you wish to designate your gift to a certain area, please write that in the memo line of the check.
The mailing address is:
The Ohio University Foundation
PO Box 869
Athens, OH 45701-0869
If you prefer to make your gift over the phone, have questions about giving to The Patton College, or would like to discuss other giving opportunities, please contact:
Director of Development, Patton College of Education
Lindley Hall N188