Summer Service Corps
A Program of the Community Engagement program within the Campus Involvement Center (CIC)
Earn $3920 by helping the Athens and surrounding community
The Summer Service Corps is an opportunity to earn money for college through the Federal Work-Study program. Ohio University undergraduates and graduate students (who will be enrolled in the fall) can work full time for a community organization in Athens for 14 weeks this summer - and earn $10.00 per hour. Most positions are 28 hours per week.
The following information describes participating agencies, student eligibility and how to apply. If you are interested, fill out the forms and return them to the Campus Involvement Center, 355 Baker University Center.
What to expect after you apply
- After verifying your financial eligibility through Financial Aid, we will send your application to the organizations in which you have indicated an interest.
- Once the organization receives your application, they will determine whether or not to contact you for an interview. Hiring decisions are then made in collaboration with the agencies and community engagement staff.
- All new hires are required to make an appointment with community engagement staff at the CIC within 3 business days of being hired to receive orientation into the SSC program which includes completing the necessary payroll paperwork. Students cannot be paid until the CWS orientation has taken place.
Who is eligible?
- Have submitted your 2014-2015 FAFSA.
- Plan on being enrolled at Ohio University for the academic year 2014-2015.
- Your calculated financial need is at least $3920 after Federal Pell Grant, Ohio College Opportunity Grant and Scholarships (if applicable).
- Willing to let your summer earnings count as a resource when the remainder of your 2014-2015 financial aid package is calculated.
|March 17||Application available|
|April 25||Application due|
|April 28||Notification from office of financial aid regarding student eligibility|
|April 28||SSC interviews begin (rolling hiring until positions are filled)|
|May 12-June 30||SSC 1st half work period|
|June 30 - Aug 15||SSC 2nd work period|
For more information please go to the Campus Involvement Center at http://www.ohio.edu/involvement/communityservice/