OHIO to welcome Bobcat Sibs Feb. 17-19
Feb 10, 2012
By Lexi Messenger
OHIO ready to welcome Bobcat Sibs
By Lexi Messenger
Sibs Weekend is here again, so get ready to introduce those future Bobcats to all Ohio University has to offer. Both students and sibs look forward to this fun weekend, which takes place Feb. 17-19 and has a wide variety of activities for siblings of any age.
"My little brother loves spending the weekend at Ohio University," says junior Alex Marling, "and now that my sister is an alumna, she's excited to come back and spend the weekend with us, too."
Here are just some of the great events happening during this special weekend:
- On Friday, Feb. 17, check out the highly competitive juried exhibition presented by the School of Art. The exhibition, in the Ohio University Art Gallery in Seigfred Hall, features the work of undergraduate School of Art students. Gallery hours are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Help discover the next big star by judging contestants in "So yOU Think You're Famous?!" on Friday, Feb. 17 at 6:30 p.m. in Baker University Center Ballroom. Watch as students show off their talents for a panel of judges. As part of the audience, you pick the winner.
- Spend an evening outdoors at the Ridges with astronomer George Eberts for some stargazing fun. At Stargazing and Bonfire at the Ridges, you'll enjoy roasting marshmallows, picking out constellations and listening to stories about the Ridges and the night sky. The event takes place Friday, Feb. 17, 7-11 p.m. The cost is $8 per person, which includes transportation and bonfire snacks. For more information about this and other Outdoor Pursuits that you can enjoy with your sib, click here.
- Bring your sib to the show The Magic of Billy Blagg and watch mind blowing illusions and magic tricks on Friday, Feb. 17 at 7:30 p.m. in Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium. The show is reserved seating. Tickets are $12 for OHIO students and sibs, $18 for seniors and $20 for general admission. For more ticket and seating information, click here.
- The Black Student Cultural Programming Board presents "Ohio Takeover 2012 Tour" on Saturday, Feb. 18 at 8 p.m. in Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium. This event features BIG K.R.I.T., Dom Kennedy, Stalley, LxE for the Uncoll and Ill Poetic.
- Student tickets for this event are $15. General tickets are $17. To purchase tickets, click here.
- The School of Theater presents an adaptation of "The Idiot" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky on Friday, Feb. 17 and Saturday Feb. 18, at 8 p.m. at the Forum Theater in the RTV Building. In this adaptation of the classic novel, 19th century Russia meets 21st century America as a naive prince struggles to find his way through a world torn between virtue and corruption. Tickets are free for OHIO students. For more information, click here.
- Join the 20-year Ohio University tradition of Open Stage at the Front Room in Baker University Center. The event starts at 8 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 17. Grab the microphone or just a cup of coffee and enjoy the longest running Open Stage in Athens.
- Take your sib to a night of fun at Sibs Fest on West on Friday, Feb. 17 at 8:30 p.m. in Boyd Dining Hall. Enjoy a DJ and dance floor, crafts, video games, Bingo, refreshments and door prizes including a Nintendo 3 DS and an iPod Touch.
- Make memories during this special weekend at "Frame Your Sib" on Saturday, Feb. 18 from noon to 3 p.m. For only $5 get a photograph with your sib get as a memento of the weekend. This event takes place at the Kennedy Museum of Art in Lin Hall at The Ridges.
- OHIO Women's Basketball takes on Kent State Saturday, Feb. 18 at 2 p.m. In support of breast cancer awareness the game will be a "Pink Zone" game and free pink t-shirts will be given to the first 200 fans. Student tickets are free and sib tickets are just $5.
- Catch the OHIO Men's Basketball game on the same day, Saturday Feb. 18 at 7 p.m., as they try to take down UNC-Ashville. This ESPN BracketBuster game will be a blackout so make sure to wear black and help show off your OHIO pride to the nation. The first 4,000 fans will receive black rally towels. Student tickets are free while sib tickets are just $5.
- Listen to some amazing music at the Symphonic Band and University Band Concert under the direction of Richard Suk and Andrew Trachsel on Sunday, Feb. 19 at 4 p.m. in the Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium.
For a full list of events, click here.