Mar 29, 2011
From staff reports
The final week of RecycleMania competition is underway, and Ohio University's Division of Recycling and Refuse is pushing for a strong finish.
Ohio University is among 630 schools from across the United States and abroad competing in RecycleMania 2011. Thirty Ohio schools, including all five of Ohio University’s regional campuses, are on the roster.
Ohio University’s Athens campus is vying for the top spot in six of eight inter-collegiate recycling categories. Among the 11 Mid-American Conference schools competing in RecycleMania, Ohio University's Athens campus currently leads in:
• Recycling per person (Per Capita Classic)
• Gross tonnage of recyclables (Gorilla Prize)
• Cumulative recycling rate (Grand Champion)
• Cardboard recycling
• Food service organics recycling
In the overall competition, Ohio University's Athens campus currently sits at:
• 16th place in gross tonnage of recyclables (Gorilla Prize)
• 23rd place in cardboard recycling
• 58th place in cumulative recycling rate (Grand Champion)
"We’re having a great year. Let's finish strong and be even better as we finish the last week," said Recycling and Refuse Manager Ed Newman.
For complete results, visit www.recyclemaniacs.org.