The sundial has always been a meeting place on College Green.
Photo courtesy of: Bill Kimok
The sundial marks the location of one of the first buildings on OHIO's Athens campus.
Photographer: Hannah Meiser
Feb 9, 2011
There are places on the Athens campus that seem as permanent as the stone in the ground. But, like Athens and like Ohio University, each monument has a story. Here are the tales of four of them, made possible by University Archivist and Records Manager Bill Kimok.
Soldiers and Sailors Monument, College Green
Green from the years and worn smooth by the weather, four men have stood guard on campus since June of 1893 on the Soldiers and Sailors Monument.
Despite popular belief, the monument was not originally University owned. The citizens of Athens County erected it in 1893. Later, a cannon and cannonballs that were salvaged during World War II joined it.
And, while students enjoy its location, in 1970 the American Legion in Athens proposed moving it to a war recreation site because they felt students treated it improperly.
Sundial, College Green
“The place where many dates were made and many vows taken only to be broken again,” stated an article about the Sundial in a 1925 edition of the publication Athena.
Built in 1907 to commemorate the first building on College Green, the Sundial was once a centerpiece to a beautiful, but simple, campus. It is less noticeable now, tucked in between Galbreath Chapel and University Terrace, but its meaning is not lost: join one building with two hundred years, unfettered perseverance and countless memories and Ohio University is the result.
Seigfred Hall, North Green
Completed in 1962 as the Space Arts Building, Seigfred Hall was renamed after the College of Fine Arts Dean Earl Seigfred. The opening ceremony of the building featured a performance of the “Twelfth Night,” an exhibit titled “Affinities,” and the unveiling of an imaginative façade, created by Henry Lin, assistant professor of ceramics.
“The unusual ceramic façade… combines effectively the many representative aspects of art which the building itself houses as well as blending consistently with the general architecture,” wrote David Keller of the Ohio University Office of Information in 1962. Maya and Tan Lin, the creative minds behind the Bicentennial Park, are the children of Henry Lin.
Albatross, College Green
Spiraling from the mind of a sophomore sculpture major in the Ohio Fellows Program in 1962, the sculpture began as shining steel. It was intended to oxidize and “develop a permanent deep auburn color which will harmonize the red brick of the building [Alden],” according to a May 1969 press release from the University.
Albatross weighed two tons, stood at 15 feet, and was composed of 1600 small-wielded pieces of steel when constructed.
The monument was done as an independent study project with the artist earning 15 hours of credit and was dedicated in Vernon Alden’s name.