Welcome, Prospective Students!
“OHIO’s PT program is nothing short of AMAZING! The primary thing that sets OHIO apart from other programs is the sincere devotion of the faculty to the students. In addition, OHIO’s program is very strong academically in manual therapy and neurologic PT. I’ve receive a more than excellent education here and I feel confident and prepared as I enter the clinic”
-- Christina Metzger, Class of 2012
We are excited that you are interested in the OHIO Division of Physical Therapy! We have a dynamic and successful program that offers students a challenging and rewarding experience. Students and faculty engage and collaborate in class, clinical experiences, and research to make connections that benefit their patient’s lives.
Below, you will find all of the information you need to apply to the OHIO Division of Physical Therapy so that you can become part of our growing legacy.
The OHIO DPT program begins at the start of Ohio University’s summer term in May 2014.
The application Deadline is Oct. 1, 2013, for admission in May 2014.
You may apply to the School of Physical Therapy if you meet the following eligibility requirements:
- A minimum overall GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 grading scale. The average GPA of recent classes has beenapproximately 3.6 to 3.7.
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 for the prerequisite courses (see the link "Prerequisite Course Information" on the right).
- You must have completed approximately 2/3 of the prerequisites by the end of the fall quarter/semester in which you apply. The remainder of the prerequisites must be completed during the winter and spring quarter/semesters following submission of your application. The OHIO DPT program begins at the start of the summer term, and all prerequisites must be completed before the start of classes.
Please contact PTCAS directly for questions regarding the required centralized application. For questions regarding the admissions process for Ohio University's Physical Therapy Program, contact us at 740-593-1221 or Application.PT@Ohio.edu.
Apply via PTCAS – link to http://www.ptcas.org/Ohio.html
Applying to the DPT Program
Complete online application for the Ohio University Division of Physical Therapy via PTCAS by the specified deadline date.
PTCAS has an Active Update Period during which you enter your required fall grades.
Submit a transcript with fall grades posted to the Physical Therapy program at Ohio University as soon as it is available to:
Physical Therapy Admissions Committee
Grover Center W290
School of Rehabilitation and Communication Sciences
College of Health Sciences and Professions
Athens Ohio 45701-2979
Selection Criteria for Admission
The admissions committee of the School of Physical Therapy may consider the following items in selecting eligible applicants.
1. Overall GPA
2. Prerequisite GPA
3. GRE Scores
5. Strength of academic preparation
6. Relevant life experience
7. Preview day interview (for more information on Preview/Interview Day see 'Additional Info' link)
Prerequisite Course Inquiries
To access descriptions of the prerequisite courses required for the program, click "Prerequisite Course Information" located below. Click on "Equivalent Prerequisite Guide" to access equivalency information for a limited number of colleges/universities.
- 40 hours of PT volunteer/observation
- 3 Letters of Recommendation from 2 different Physical Therapists, and 1 college professor
If you have a question about a specific prerequisite after reading our prerequisite requirements on both the OU Physical Therapy website, as well as on PTCAS, please do the following:
Send an email to Application.PT@ohio.edu stating:
1. The pre-requisite you wish to fulfill, example: Developmental Psychology.
2. State the course prefix and number of the course you wish to use, example: Psych 120.
3. State the number of credit hours.
4. State whether the hours are quarter hours or semester hours.
5. State the institution offering the course.
6. Enter the course's catalogue description.
7. Please include any other pertinent information.
Eligible, competitive applicants will be invited to a Preview/Interview Day. Specific dates will be posted in the fall. Candidates will be notified whether or not they have been selected for the Preview/Interview Day.
The purpose of this event is to provide applicants an opportunity to view the facilities, interact with current faculty and students, and evaluate the program curriculum and philosophy. There is also an individual interview session with one of the PT faculty.
This event will include:
- Tours of the Ohio University campus and Physical Therapy facilities
- Overview of the Physical Therapy Curriculum and philosophy
- Opportunity to hear about research projects being conducted by faculty and staff
- Information about financial aid
- Meetings with faculty and students
- Open ended sessions, both group sessions and individual interviews, allow applicants to ask faculty and students pertinent questions regarding our program. The hope is that every student who visits the OU Division of Physical Therapy will leave with a clear idea of the qualities of OUPhysical Therapy.