Center for International Studies
Our PromiseThe Center for International Studies (CIS) is the Global Education Gateway of Ohio University. High quality, globally-focused undergraduate and graduate degrees and certificates are at the core of our mission, serving as a catalyst for interdisciplinary and experiential engagement among faculty and students across the institution. CIS also administers OHIO global partnerships, promotes on-campus, community and international outreach, houses the Office of Education Abroad and Global Leadership Center and supports the teaching of traditional and less commonly taught languages.
Founded in 1964, (CIS) brings together 115 faculty members from 39 departments in 8 colleges with one goal: foster an educated, just and prosperous world. Every year, 900 or more OHIO students study abroad, 1,500 international students travel to visit OHIO and a countless number of exceptional students make the world a better place.
Your SupportContemporary globalization is a “mega trend” with economic, technological, geo-political and cultural implications. Increased global interdependence creates new opportunities and challenges for institutions of higher education. We must prepare our students to enter professions in which global competency is a requirement of success.
At Ohio University, we work continually to enrich research and travel abroad opportunities, but our success depends on the generous support of OHIO’s alumni and friends. With your help, we will continue to provide support for international students and faculty to travel to OHIO and for OHIO students and faculty to study and conduct research abroad.
We believe that you should be able to support what matters most to you, so you can designate your gift to any area you desire. We have several exciting initiatives that will benefit from your generosity:
- Creating endowments for the academic leadership of the Center’s five areas of graduate education: African Studies; Communication and Development Studies; International Development Studies; Latin American Studies; and Southeast Asian Studies;
- Offering increased annual and endowment support for student and faculty global mobility funds, which will assist OHIO students and faculty who travel abroad and support international students and faculty who travel to OHIO;
- Programing support for our undergraduate Global Studies program and Global Leadership Center;
- Enhancing endowment support for the Tun Abdul Razak Chair to further our Southeast Asian Studies program and the study of Malaysia.
You can influence the future by supporting CIS as our students, faculty and staff continue to be a catalyst for defining the quality of learning, the direction of research and discovery, and the solutions to economic and social concerns both locally and globally.
What your gift can do:
- $30 can provide health screenings for three incoming international students;
- $50 can ensure the continuation of subscriptions to online job and Internet resources for students;
- $100 can fund a van to transport students to present papers at regional conferences;
- $500 can bring a visiting lecturer to campus to speak as a part of the International Studies Forum;
- $1,000 can buy a plane ticket for a student to conduct overseas field research.
To mail a gift, please make your check payable to The Ohio University Foundation. Please write “Center for International Studies” in the memo line of the check.
The mailing address is:
The Ohio University Foundation
PO Box 869
Athens, OH 45701-0869
If you prefer to make your gift over the phone, have questions about giving to CIS, or would like to discuss other giving opportunities, please contact:
Director of Development, Annual Giving
111 McKee House
Athens, Ohio 45701