A powerful team-based collaboration tool that provides group chat, channeled conversations, instant messaging, live document collaboration, audio or video calls, and meetings (from one-on-ones to fully-featured audio/video conferences). Teams works in conjunction with other Microsoft applications such as OneDrive, OneNote, and Office 365 via Microsoft Groups. Persistent histories make it easy to review past conversations and shared documents.
How to Access
Desktop and mobile
For the best experience, we recommend using the Teams apps:
- Download the Teams app for Windows or Mac.
- Mobile apps are available for iOS, Android, and Windows Phone 10 from their respective app stores
On the web
- teams.ohio.edu (Use your full OHIO email address as your username)
- Teams also can be reached by logging into OneDrive or Catmail on the web and using the "waffle" app launcher icon.
- Chat – Have private one-on-one or group conversations via text, audio, or video.
- Meetings and Live Events– Schedule and invite OHIO and non-OHIO participants to audio/video conference-based meetings or live streamed events. Teams meeting invitations synchronize automatically with Outlook calendar.
- Want to know more about which is right for you? See our page on using Microsoft Teams for your meetings and live events
- Activity Feed - View recent activities in Teams and search for specific conversations, files, people, and more.
- Channels – Focus your Team's discussions by creating topic- or project-specific channels to hold conversations, have meetings, and collaborate on files.
- Files – View, edit, and collaborate on OneDrive files inside of Teams.
- Tabs – Add content or features to a chat or channel. Tabs can include websites, Office 365 applications, and select non-Microsoft content.
- Planner tab – Collaborate on and organize shared lists of tasks within your Team.
Teams includes additional features for interacting with students in a classroom setting.
- Quick Start Guide for Teams for Education (PDF download) (automatically downloads a .pdf not a website)
- Assignments – A feature for distributing and assessing student assignments. NOTE: Currently this feature is very lightweight. We recommend using Blackboard Learn for assignments.
- Class Notebook – A feature for instructors to share class information and resources. If students post work to the class notebook, it is only visible to themselves and the instructor.
- Adding students to a Teams class
Request Teams for an OHIO Course
Contact the IT Service Desk and ask for Teams for an OHIO Course. Please be prepared to provide the following information:
- Division or College:
- Course Name: As displayed in Blackboard (e.g. EDCT_6030_100_LEC_SPRG_2019-20)
- Team Owner(s)/Instructor(s): First & last name(s) and OHIO email address(es)
NOTE: Students will need to be added manually by Team owner(s). Please see the directions for adding students under Classroom-Specific Features section.
Request a Team for non-course purposes
- Division or College:
- Department: For an organization, this should be the sponsoring department.
- Preferred Display Name: A short, descriptive name of your Group. The Group's shared email address will be based on this name.
- Purpose of Group/Team:
- Will the Team be used for an OHIO course? Note that Teams for Classroom works well to promote collaboration and interaction among students, but it is not a Learning Management System. The best way to use Teams is as a supplement to Blackboard Learn.
- Will the Group be used to store sensitive data (HIPAA, FERPA, PHI, etc.)?
- Group Owner(s): The Name and Ohio email address of at least one person who will be responsible for managing Group membership.
*Group Addresses are hidden from the Global Address List
- To be owner or co-owner of a Team: Faculty, staff, and emeriti
- To be a Team member, or to use Teams for individual or small-group private chats: Anyone with a valid OHIO ID
- To create a meeting that includes an audio conferencing telephone number: Current students; full time faculty, administrative, classified non-bargaining and OUPD staff.
- To join a remote meeting via Teams or telephone: Anyone