Ohio University’s giving societies reflect a tradition of private support that dates back to 1816 when Christopher and Daniel Herrold forgave the debt on the purchase of lumber used to build Cutler Hall. In the 1920s, Ohio University began its first campaign to generate private funding for the construction of Memorial Auditorium. A strong legacy of giving was established when more than 2,000 alumni responded with a gift during the 8-year campaign.
To honor and recognize donors for their continued support of Ohio University’s mission and vision, the University offers membership to four different giving societies. Membership is achieved through contributions of cash, real estate, appreciated securities, gifts-in-kind, or with planned gifts through wills, trusts, or life insurance policies.
The Cutler Herrold Society is OHIO’s premier lifetime giving society, designed to recognize those donors who have invested in the life of the University in transformational ways. The Cutler Herrold Society provides the absolute highest quality of recognition and service to our most generous donors.
The Founders’ Circle recognizes alumni and friends who support OHIO’s students, faculty, campuses, and programs with annual giving of $1,000 or more. These donors demonstrate their belief in the promise of every individual who learns, teaches, and succeeds at OHIO.
The Cutler Chimes Society honors OHIO’s most loyal donors. Membership is granted to donors who continue to make gifts, at any level, consecutively for three or more years.
The 1804 Society celebrates gracious donors who have either given or committed to a planned gift to The Ohio University Foundation. Planned gifts include wills, revocable trusts, gift annuities, charitable remainder trusts, charitable lead trusts, or life insurance.