Ohio University is open; several power outages are scheduled for the Athens Campus.

The timing of the outages taking place Dec. 29-31 has been altered. More Information
 

20

Saturday, Dec 20, 2014

Overcast, 33 °F

compassLogo

Featured Stories


An Intentional Tourist - an interview with Frederick Schwartzman


Ohio University’s first foreign-exchange student to post-World War II Germany: Frederick Schwartzman, 1954/1955.

Born in 1934 in New York City, Frederick Schwartzman is a 1956 graduate of Ohio University’s College of Arts & Sciences. In 1954, just nine years after VE Day marking the end of the war in Europe, he became OHIO’s first post-World War II foreign exchange student to Germany, attending the Westfälische-Wilhelms University in Münster during his junior year. He later earned his juris doctorate in 1959 from the Law School of the University of Virginia.

Today, Schwartzman is a lawyer in New York City specializing in international motion picture and television legal matters. His clients have included major European and Japanese private and public television networks, international film and television producers and distributors as well as buyers and sellers of films and television programs, in Italy, Germany, France, Japan and in Latin America. Schwartzman is an arbitrator on the New York City panel of arbitrators maintained by the Independent Film & Television Alliance for resolution of industry disputes.

Click here to read excerpts from a discussion with Schwartzman about his experiences at OHIO and in Germany in 1954/1955

Frederick Schwartzman

Schwartzman’s student identification and registration card from the University in Münster indicates that he was a registered student for two semesters in 1954 – 1955.

Frederick Schwartzman

This document from the Rector of the University in Münster to Ohio University certifies that Schwartzman was a duly matriculated student for the summer, 1955 semester.

Frederick Schwartzman

Schwartzman (second from right) with a group of fellow German students in Münster.

University in Münster

The main administration building of the university in Münster (rebuilt after World War II) is known as the Schloss, which means “the palace” and was formerly the local bishop’s residence.

City Hall in Münster

The City Hall in Münster (rebuilt after World War II) where the Peace of Westphalia was negotiated and signed in 1648 ending the 30 Years War.