International Week brings the world to Athens
Apr 10, 2013
By Briagenn Adams
Ohio University will celebrate its cultural diversity during International Week from April 14 until April 20.
2013’s International Week will kick off literally on Sunday, April 14, with the final games of the Soccer World Cup tournament hosted by the International Student Union. This annual event promotes friendly competition between soccer players from all around the world. Games will be played between 3 and 9 p.m. on Pruitt Field, at the intersection of S. Shafer St. and Hospital Drive.
The rest of the week's activities are listed below:
Monday, April 15
- International Photography Contest Open House, 3-5 p.m., Court Street Coffee. Photographs taken abroad by students, staff and faculty will be on display, with winners in each of four categories to be revealed during the event.
- Keynote Address by award-winning hip-hop writer and performer Toni Blackman, 7-9 p.m., Baker Ballroom. As a U.S. Department of State-designated American Cultural Specialist, Blackman has brought hip hop culture to Ghana, Botswana and Swaziland.
Tuesday, April 16
- Student Senate Panel, 6 p.m., Baker 231. The panel will highlight differing cultural perspectives on relationships, including customs and social standards for cross-cultural dating. Representatives from various cultures will share opinions, experiences and comparisons to relationship traditions in other societies. Snacks and refreshments will be provided.
Wednesday, April 17
- Global Meet and Greet: Care for Your World: Share Your World, 4-5 p.m., Walter International Educational Center. In honor of Earth Day, the event will feature demonstrations of simple sustainability techniques to use on campus and at home. Local and organic refreshments will be provided.
- A Taste of Study Abroad, 5-7 p.m., Grover Atrium. Sample international cuisine from around the world and learn about opportunities available through Ohio University's Office of Education Abroad. Free giveaways while supplies last.
Thursday, April 18
- Global Scoop, 3-5 p.m., Baker Atrium 3rd Floor. Span the globe in frozen treats, with world-famous ice cream flavors for sampling. This event is free and open to all.
- Diversity in Education Abroad Panel Discussion, 6 p.m., Walter International Education Center. A panel of Ohio University students who have studied overseas will discuss their experiences abroad.
- Bobcat Tabletop, 7 p.m., Jefferson Hall Library. In this weekly event, participants can play award-winning board and card games from around the world.
- International Craft Night, 9-11:30 p.m., Baker West 82. The weekly Martha Stewart-inspired craft night will celebrate International Week with a variety of crafting opportunities from around the world.
Friday, April 19
- International Student Union Talent Show, 7-9 p.m., Baker Theater. This event will honor cultures from around the globe in performances of acting, singing, dancing, and instrumental music.
- OPIE Street Fair Pre-Party, 9-11 p.m., Bobcat Lounge. Get a head start on Saturday's festivities by dancing to American and international music.
Saturday, April 20
- International Street Fair, 9 a.m.–5 p.m., Court Street. The campus and Athens communities come together for a daylong celebration of multicultural diversity. Experience the sights, sounds and tastes of international food, culture and the arts.