Can I keep my Catmail account after I leave Ohio University?
STUDENTS & ALUMNI: If you graduate from the university, you may keep your Catmail account indefinitely. If you leave the university for another reason, your access may be terminated once you are no longer eligible to register for classes.
CURRENT EMPLOYEES: You will have access to your employee Catmail account as long as you are employed by the university. Once you stop working for the university, your access will be disabled. Exceptions include:
- Adjuncts who only are under contract during portions of each year can arrange for access to persist between contracts.
- Employees who also are taking classes have two separate Catmail accounts. Their student account will be covered by the "students" policy.
- Employees who are also alumni of the university will have both an employee account and an alumni account. The alumni account will remain active regardless of employment status.
- Retirees and Emeriti will retain access indefinitely.
RETIREES and EMERITI: You will have access to your Catmail account indefinitely.
SPONSORED GUESTS: You will have access as long as your sponsor approves your account.
Will the University sell my email address?
Ohio University does not sell email address lists, and our contract with Microsoft does not allow them to sell your address or information or to advertise their services to you; however, we are required by Ohio public records law to provide "directory" information to those who request it.
Students may choose to have their directory information withheld. Students that know their Ohio ID and password may log into the MyOHIO Student Center to change their privacy settings. In the MyOHIO Student Center click on My Personal Information. Using the drop-down box select Privacy Settings and click the double arrows. Click on Edit FERPA/Directory Restrictions, click on Restrict All Fields, and click Save.
Students that do not know their Ohio ID and password may choose to have directory information withheld by completing a Confidentiality Status Request form. Please visit https://www.ohio.edu/registrar/upload/Confidentiality_Status_Request_Form.pdf to download the form. Once completed, signed, and dated, return the form to the address or fax number provided at the bottom of the form.
Please keep in mind that a Confidentiality Request will completely hide your presence at the university. When you send emails, the “from” address will not include your name and no one will be able to look you up using Catmail’s built-in address search.
How do I change my name in Catmail?
Catmail uses your official name from your student records. It will display your preferred name, if you have entered one through the My OHIO Student Center. If you have not provided a preferred name, it will display your legal name.
You can update your preferred name and/or pronoun in My OHIO Student Center. After logging in, click on the "Names" link in the Personal Information section. For more information, visit the Registrar's Preferred Names FAQ.
To change your legal name, you will need to contact the Office of the University Registrar. A legal name change requires an official document and/or court order verifying the correct information at the time the request is made. You can submit one of the following forms of validation in person, to the Office of the University Registrar, Chubb Hall:
- Valid passport (required for international students in non-immigrant status);
- Court action document;
- Divorce decree (the appropriate page of the decree);
- Marriage certificate;
- Valid driver's license and social security card (you must submit both and the names must match);
- Federal or state-issued identification card and a social security card (you must submit both and the names must match).
When only one word is provided for the legal name, the information will be stored in a system's last name field with the standardized designation of 'FNU' (first name unknown) stored in the first name field.
If you have additional questions about name changes, contact Registrar Services by email at email@example.com, by phone at 740.593.4495, or in person on the first floor of Chubb Hall.
You can change your first name in Catmail by filling in the Preferred Name field in the University's HR database:
- Log into My Personal Information.
- Expand the My Personal Information folder and click Personal Information.
- In the Basic Details section, click Update.
- Choose Correct or complete the current details.
- Enter your preferred first name in the Preferred Name box and click Next.
- Continue to click Next until you reach the Personal Information: Review screen. Make sure your Preferred Name is correct, and click Submit.
Changes will not be immediately visible in the Exchange GAL (Global Address List or address book), but will be refreshed automatically the following morning between 4:00 AM and 5:00 AM.