01.001: Preparation of Policies
|Status:||Approved on May 14, 2013||Signatures and dates
on archival copy
|Initiated by:||John J. Biancamano|
|Endorsed by:||Pam Benoit|
Executive Vice President and Provost
|Approved by:||Roderick J. McDavis|
- I. University Policy Manual
The University Policy Manual shall include policies of broad application throughout the university and shall be made available online. Printed copies of the Manual shall also be made available in the Alden Library and University Human Resources on the Athens campus and in each of the Regional Campus libraries. Policies to be included in the Policy Manual shall be adopted in accordance with the procedures in this Policy.
- II. Initiating, Amending, or Rescinding a Policy
- A. Review Committees
- The Executive Staff Policy Committee shall be responsible for the review of new or amended policies and for recommending policies for approval by the President. The members of the Executive Staff Policy Committee shall be the Vice President for Finance and Administration, the Executive Vice President and Provost, the Vice President for Student Affairs, and the General Counsel. The Executive Vice President and Provost shall serve as chair of the Committee. In the event of their temporary unavailability, members may be represented by designees.
- Under the direction of the Executive Staff Policy Committee, the Office of Legal Affairs will provide legal and administrative oversight for the policy-development process.
- B. Policy Drafting Guidelines
The Executive Staff Policy Committee, with the assistance of the Office of Legal Affairs, shall prepare Policy Drafting Guidelines setting forth requirements for content, organization and format of policies. These Guidelines shall be made available as part of the online and hardcopy editions of the Policy Manual.
- C. Initiation, Review, and Approval of Policies
- A proposal for a new or amended policy or the rescission of an existing policy may be initiated by the university unit responsible for administering the subject matter of the policy, (the "Initiating Unit"), subject to the approval of its Planning Unit Head. Any member of the university community may submit a suggestion for a change in university policy to the appropriate Initiating Unit or its Planning Unit Head.
- The Planning Unit Head with responsibility for the Initiating Unit shall send to the Executive Staff Policy Committee a Policy Proposal Memorandum, as described in the Policy Drafting Guidelines. The Proposal Memorandum shall explain the need for the new or revised policy or the reason for the rescission and shall include an outline of the proposed content of the new policy or amendment. A list of university offices and constituencies affected shall also be provided.
- The Executive Staff Policy Committee shall decide whether the proposal should go forward and may provide guidance, limitations, or any other advice it deems appropriate. In particular, the Executive Staff Policy Committee should confirm that the Initiating Unit will consult the appropriate university officials and constituencies.
- If the Executive Staff Policy Committee authorizes a continuation of the policy development process, the Initiating Unit may proceed to draft the policy using the Standard Policy Template in accordance with the Policy Drafting Guidelines.
- The Initiating Unit shall solicit comments and recommendations from the university officials and constituencies affected by the proposed policy or rescission, including any appropriate senates.
- The draft policy and all comments from university officials and constituencies consulted by the Initiating Unit shall be posted online.
- At the completion of the consultation process, the proposed policy, amendment, or rescission shall be submitted to the Executive Staff Policy Committee for final review. The submission shall include a Policy Approval Cover Sheet signed by the Planning Unit Head. The Policy Approval Cover Sheet shall be in the form prescribed in the Policy Drafting Guidelines and shall include a list of the university officials and constituencies consulted in the policy development process and summaries of the comments and recommendations from each. The materials submitted to the Executive Staff Policy Committee shall also be made available to each official and constituency consulted by the Initiating Unit.
- The Executive Staff Policy Committee shall review the proposed policy, amendment or rescission and the comments and recommendations from the officials and constituencies who reviewed the proposal. The Committee may recommend the policy or rescission to the President for final approval or send it back to the Initiating Unit for further modification or consultation.
- D. Updating Policies
All policies shall be reviewed to determine whether an update is necessary at least every five years. At the direction of the Executive Staff Policy Committee, the Office of Legal Affairs will send update notices to Initiating Units for each policy.
- E. Interim Policies
- The Executive Staff Policy Committee may determine that because of legal requirements or administrative necessity a policy must be adopted or amended immediately. In this event, the Executive Staff Policy Committee may recommend to the President that an Interim Policy be adopted. The Executive Staff Policy Committee's recommendation shall include a complete description of the legal or administrative issues supporting the request for an Interim Policy.
- An Interim Policy shall be effective for an initial period of no more than six months. After the initial six month period, the Executive Staff Policy Committee may recommend to the President that an Interim Policy be extended for two additional six month periods. A permanent policy adopted in accordance with the procedures set forth in Subsection II (C), above, should be approved by the President no later than 18 months after the effective date of the Interim Policy.
Proposed revisions of this policy should be reviewed by:
- All Employee Senates
- Forms, References, and History
- A. Forms
The following form is specific to this policy:
- Standard Policy Template (133 KB .docx file)
- B. References
The following items are relevant to this policy:
- Policy Drafting Guidelines.
- Policy 01.002, "Policy and Procedure Numbering System."
- Policy 01.003, "Exceptions to or Restrictions of University Policies."
- C. History
Draft versions of this policy that were circulated for review, their cover memos, their forms, and Reviewers' comments on them are available on the password-protected Review site, at https://www.ohio.edu/policy2/01-001/.
Prior versions of this policy were approved on:
- January 25, 2011
- January 31, 2008
- February 21, 2006
- April 25, 2002 (effective October 1, 2002)
- May 3, 1994
- September 2, 1969