Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies


 Here are some answers to a few frequently-asked questions:

What you'll need to do to enroll in the Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Major

You do not need an advisor's signature to enroll. Simply go to your college office and fill out an "Application for Update of Program." The Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies major code is BA4402.



What you'll need to do to enroll in a Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Certificate Program


  • Visit the Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies office at 31 South Court Street during Lynette Peck's office hours (Tuesdays 1-3).  You'll need to fill out two forms, one of which needs her signature.  If her office hours are not convenient for you, contact her by email (peck@ohio.edu) to arrange an appointment.  You may also call her during her office hours at 593-4687.

  • After your form is signed, you'll need to take it to your college (undergraduates) or to the Graduate College in RTEC (graduate students).

  • International students will need a signature from the International Student Advisor (Kit Klepinger) in ISFS, Walter International Education Center.

  • Remember that you must be enrolled in the certificate program at least one full semester before you plan to graduate, so it's best to start the paperwork as soon as you can.

Can I subsitute another course for a required undergraduate WGSS core course?

No.  The Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies certificate curricula depends on the analytical, theoretical, and historical building blocks laid down in the required WGSS courses.  To receive a certificate, you must take all required WGSS courses. 

If a course is not on the permanant list of courses, can it still count toward my certificate?

Graduate certificate students may possibly be able to substitute courses.  If, in a particular course, you have focused your research on sexuality or gender, you might be able to count it toward your required elective credits.  You will need to provide the WGSS advisor with: a proposal letter in which you describe the research you have done in the course; a syllabus of the course; and a letter from the professor (email is fine) in support of the substitution.  Contac the WGSS faculty advisor, Lynette Peck, for more information.

Can I enroll in a WGSS undergraduate certificate program if I'm a student on a branch campus?

Certainly.  The enrollment process is the same for branch-campus students.  (If you can't make it to the Athens campus, call the WGSS advisor at 740-593-4687.)  Be aware, however, that campuses vary as to which courses are offered where.

Can I subsitute another course for WGSS 5890?

No.  WGSS 5890 is a capstone feminist theory seminar in which students will be introduced to major theoretical trends in the field and have the opportunity to work closely with the professor in producing a significant piece of scholarly research.  It is the only required course in the graduate certificate program, and cannot be substituted.  Contact Lynette Peck, the WGSS faculty advisor, for further clarification.