COVID-19 Safety Measures
Ohio University is focused on delivering the best possible student experience while reducing risk to our students, faculty, staff and communities. With that in mind, our COVID-19 response includes strategies to help reduce spread of COVID-19, as well as changes to our learning, working and residential environments to promote safety.
During your visit to campus for BSO, we expect you to follow the same public health measures that we expect all students, faculty and staff to follow. We hope, too, that these public health measures will help you feel safe so that you can focus on enjoying orientation.
Here are the main safety precautions to keep in mind during BSO:
- Daily symptom assessment: All OHIO students, faculty and staff should measure their body temperature and complete a Campus COVID Symptom Assessment daily before coming to campus. The University expects BSO participants to complete this as well.
Those who feel ill, have symptoms consistent with COVID-19, or who have tested positive for COVID-19, regardless of COVID-19 vaccination status, must stay home; unvaccinated individuals who have been exposed to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, must also stay home. Those who are fully vaccinated and have been been exposed to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 may still attend. Once on campus, if an individual becomes ill, they should return home immediately, contact their healthcare provider, and complete an OHIO COVID-19 Incident Report form.
- Face coverings (masks): Masks are required during Bobcat Student Orientation (BSO) according to the following guidelines:
- Students, faculty, staff, and visitors to all OHIO campuses over the age of 10 are required to wear masks indoors, regardless of vaccination status.
- Masks also are required on public transportation and when entering, exiting, or standing in line to enter an indoor campus facility.
- Masks are recommended outdoors for unvaccinated individuals who cannot maintain physical distance.
- Vaccinated individuals are not required to mask outdoors. There may be some cases where the University will require masking of everyone outdoors, regardless of vaccination status. See the Presidential Health Directives for more details on OHIO’s masking policy.
- Physical distancing
Outdoors: Individuals do not need to practice physical distancing when outdoors on OHIO campuses, regardless of COVID-19 vaccination status. Unvaccinated individuals are strongly encouraged to maintain at least six feet of physical distance while outside.
Indoors: In classrooms, individuals are expected to maintain a distance of at least three feet from others who are not members of their household; in all other indoor public spaces on campus, unvaccinated individuals are expected to maintain a distance of at least six feet. Fully vaccinated individuals do not have to maintain physical distance from others in non-classroom indoor public spaces on campus.
- Hygiene: Anyone on campus is expected to wash their hands frequently. When handwashing is not possible, individuals should use a hand sanitizer that includes at least 70% alcohol.
- Vaccinations: All OHIO students, faculty, and staff are required to choose a pathway as part of the COVID-19 Testing Pathway Program. Those individuals who are fully vaccinated do not have to participate in asymptomatic testing if they select the Vaccination Pathway and provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
If you have questions about any of OHIO’s COVID-19 policies, please contact COVIDoperations@ohio.edu.