August 22, 2013
Ohio University will commemorate the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom on that famous event’s 50th anniversary, Aug. 28. The march was a key event in the Civil Rights Movement during which Martin Luther King Jr. delivered his iconic “I Have a Dream” speech.
A collaboration among the Office for Diversity and Inclusion, University College, Residential Housing, the College of Fine Arts, the School of Music and the Campus Involvement Center, the event will be held from 7 to 8 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 28, at Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium. It is free and open to the public.
The program will include images, recordings and video meant to capture the spirit of the March on Washington, and music at the event will be provided by Sharell Arocho, Scott Ewing, and Bruce and Gay Dalzell.
Among the speakers who will be featured during the program is Francine Childs, professor emerita in the Department of African American Studies and a longtime advocate for social justice and equality who met Dr. King in 1956. Joining Childs will be:
• Larry Griffin, founder and director of Capriccio Vocal Ensemble in Columbus who will narrate a group reading of the “I Have a Dream” speech during the event
• Derrick Holifield, an OHIO student known for writing and performing poetry who is president of Alpha Phi Alpha (the fraternity that Dr. King belonged to)
• Akil Houston, an assistant professor in the Department of African American Studies
• Andrew Kreutzer, an associate professor in the Sports Administration and Facility Management Program
• Local residents Peggy Gish, Jan Griesinger, and Arlene and Bob Sheak, all of whom will be attending March on Washington anniversary events in Washington, D.C., this coming weekend
• Peter Jarjisian, a professor in the School of Music
For more information, visit http://www.ohio.edu/compass/stories/13-14/8/march-washington-anniversary.cfm.
OHIO expert discusses verbal spars during presidential campaigns The Hill | Aug 26
Ohio University gets federal grant to help offset decline of coal Columbus Dispatch | Aug 25
OHIO professor wins prestigious scientific award for cardiovascular research The Jackson County Times-Journal | Aug 23