January 28, 2013
During the 2012 fall funding cycle, Ohio University President Roderick J. McDavis approved $56,919 for six ongoing faculty projects ranging from research on second language acquisition to the production of a film titled “Japanese War Brides in America: An Oral History.”
The recipients are:
• Morgan Vis, Environmental and Plant Biology, $10,264 for “Systematic revision of the freshwater red algal genera, Lemanea and Paralemanea”
• Scott Jarvis, Linguistics, $5,815 for “Phase II: A longitudinal study of the effects of language proficiency, working memory capacity, and crosslinguistic congruity on the acquisition of English by Arabic and Chinese speakers”
• JungHun Choi, Mechanical Engineering, $11,200 for “Development of Active Colonoscopy Training Model”
• Miki Crawford, Ohio University Southern (OU-S) Communication Studies, Don Moore, OU-S Electronic Media and Brad Bear, OU-S Special Projects Producer, $11,200 for “Giving Voice to Japanese War Brides”
• Karen Coschigano, Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine, $12,000 for “Examining the role of STAT5 in diabetic kidney damage”
• Dwayne Nicely, Mathematics, Ohio University Chillicothe, $5,640 for “A word on word problems: How improving reading comprehension can improve performance on mathematical word problems”
Endowed in 1961 by a gift of more than $612,000 from 1926 College of Arts and Sciences graduate Edwin L. Kennedy and his wife, Ruth, a 1930 graduate of the College of Education, The John C. Baker Fund was established to support faculty improvement and research efforts.
Over the past 12 years, the Baker Fund has provided almost $800,000 in funding to 84 proposals. Made available by The Ohio University Foundation, the awards support the ongoing research, scholarship and creative activity of regular tenured and tenure-track faculty members as well as administrative staff. The committee seeks proposals for “projects which are near completion and can hopefully be brought to full completion with the assistance of an award.”
The Office of the Vice President for Research and Creative Activity oversees the program, and committee recommendations are then sent to the University’s president for approval.
The spring proposal submission deadline is 4:00 p.m. Thurs., Feb. 14. For more information, visit http://www.ohio.edu/research/Funding.cfm
"N.F.L. Doctor Who Discounted Dangers of Head Trauma Retires" quotes OHIO's Robert Boland New York Times | Jul 21
"It’s Donald Trump’s Convention. But the Inspiration? Nixon" quotes OHIO's Kevin Mattson New York Times | Jul 19