Ohio University

skip to main content
Ohio University Logo



I'm struggling in a class. Where can I find a tutor or get extra help?

The Academic Advancement Center offers tutoring in many areas, including math and science courses; they will also help with finding your study style and assist you with time management. In addition, there is a Writing Center on the 2nd floor of Alden Library where staff members are available to review your written materials. Many courses have Supplement Instruction (SI) sessions with student leaders who have successfully taken the course previously and lead discussions about the course material.


Does the Allen Center have walk-in advising?

The Allen Center has walk-in advising Monday–Friday, 10:30 a.m.–Noon. 


How do I calculate my grade point average?

While Ohio University does not have an online GPA calculator, you can find one online. Your academic advisor or an advisor in the Allen Student Advising Center (740-566-8888) can help you calculate your accumulative GPA based on your predictions for the present semester's grades. You can also learn how retaking one or more courses can impact your accumulative GPA.


How can I find a part-time or summer job/internship?

Jobs at Ohio University are posted here. Internships are coordinated through your college student services office or through the Career and Leadership Development Center on the fifth floor of Baker Center. Inquire at either of those places for more information, or talk with your Academic Advisor.


How do I apply for scholarships, Work Study and financial aid?

The Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships  (740-593-4141) can answer your questions about obtaining financial assistance. Every student has a financial counselor at the Office of Financial Aid. Make sure you remember to fill out the FAFSA every year! Many financial aid forms are available online.


How do I get involved in student organizations?

There is an online directory of student organizations  where you can learn about the many opportunities at Ohio University. Send the contact person an email or check out available websites to find out when meetings are held.


How can I find out about study abroad?

Ohio University offers a wide range of study, work, and internship opportunities abroad. Contact the Office of Global Opportunities  for more information. Walk-in study abroad advising is available Mondays through Fridays from 1-4 p.m. in Walter International Education Center.


I have been diagnosed with a learning disability or a physical disability. What should I do?

Accessibility Services offers a wide range of accommodations for students with physical or learning disabilities. Contact Accessibility Services at 593-2620 or visit their website  for more information.


I am having computer problems. What can I do?

For computer help, contact OHIO Information Technology at 740-593-1222. The support center is available from 8 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Friday and 11 a.m.-7 p.m. on the weekend. You can also ask questions on their website.


What jobs can I expect to find in my major?

At the Career and Leadership Development Center  you will learn about career possibilities for a range of majors and the strategies needed to get there.


How can I find out who my advisor is?

From the OHIO homepage  click on "Current Students," under the "My OHIO" menu click on "My OHIO Portal"; log-in with your OHIO ID and password. Under the “Academics” tab, click on My OHIO Student Center and log-in again with your OHIO ID and password. Your advisor information is in the Advisor box along the right side. Click “details” to email your advisor.


How do I choose a major?

There are many ways that students decide what to major in. If you would like guidance selecting a major that is a good choice for you, please call our office at 740-566-8888 and ask to make an appointment with an advisor to discuss this further.


How do I change my college or major?

Contact your academic advisor  or come into our office and we can help you with this!


What is academic probation?

A student is placed on academic probation  if his or her cumulative grade point average (GPA) falls below 2.0. Students on academic probation are required to attend an Academic Success Workshop.


I don't like my roommate/residence hall. What should I do?

Talk to your RA and/or your Residence Coordinator. They will help you either make your current situation better, or move to a new location.


Where do I go if I feel like I need to talk to someone about issues going on in my life?

Counseling and Psychological Services (CPS) located on the 3rd floor of Hudson Health Center provides personal adjustment services to students ranging in topics from relationship issues, coping with anxiety and stress, drug and alcohol counseling, eating disorders groups, career counseling, interest inventories, educational counseling on academic issues, and exam panic counseling. For more information, visit the CPS website. Additionally, you can visit the Counselor-In-Residence.


I feel like I am being treated unfairly by one of my professors, what can I do?

The first thing to do is make an appointment to speak with your professor. All professors have office hours allotted to work with students individually and include days and times on their syllabi. If you have met with your instructor, and still do not feel that you are making progress, you can contact the Office of the Ombudsperson. The Office of the Ombudsperson is a confidential service open to all students and employees at Ohio University. This office can help you resolve interpersonal disputes, find resolutions to your concerns about academic, staff, or student issues, and can work to help mediate issues. Learn more about the Ombudsperson: what to expect, FAQs for students, and contact.