Ohio University >> Survivor Advocacy >> Frequently Asked Questions 

Frequently Asked Questions

Is OUSAP going away? 

No. Ohio University is committed to this program. The University has taken short term measures to address what have been identified as immediate needs. The next steps are focused on strengthening and fortifying the program and the services it provides to clients.


In order for there to be confidentiality in the delivery of survivor advocacy services, we are searching for a licensed, credential individual to serve as a temporary program coordinator during this transition period. 


Are there confidential resources on campus anymore?

Confidential resources exist on campus through Counseling and Psychological Services (CPS) and Campus Care.


It is important to know there is no wait at CPS for someone in crisis and there is no cost to someone in crisis to use CPS (ie. initial intakes and emergencies after-hours have no charges). CPS has no additional costs to first-year students as all services are included in The OHIO guarantee. Sophomores, juniors and seniors who have paid the wellbeing fee can access CPS for on-going services.


If someone calls CPS during normal business hours, a receptionist will answer the phone and encourage them to come to walk-in hours.  After hours, the phone is answered by a licensed therapist. 


Is the University still in compliance with Title IX requirements?

Yes. The U.S. Department of Education’s written guidance about Title IX compliance allows for the designation of confidential resources for survivors. Ohio University has maintained access to confidential resources through this transition with counselors and staff at the Counseling and Psychological Services and Campus Care. Any survivor who contacts SAP by telephone or website will see referral information to CPS and a 24//7 Crisis Intervention Service (740-593-1616) where the survivor will speak to a licensed and trained counselor.


In addition, it is important to note that a student who reports sexual assault, relationship violence, and stalking to the Office of Equity and Civil Rights Compliance, Ohio University’s Title IX Office, has the right to request confidentiality.  Ohio University will make every effort to honor a complainant’s request for confidentiality.  In circumstances where there is risk of further violence against the complainant, or behavior that puts the larger campus community at risk, it may not be possible for the Title IX office to grant confidentiality. It should be noted that honoring the request for confidentiality may limit ability of Ohio University to respond fully to the incident, including pursuing disciplinary action against the respondent. This is because the respondent must be informed of the details of the alleged violation and must be given an opportunity to respond in an adjudicative process prior to disciplinary action.


Complainants who pursue action through the university adjudicative process will receive protection from retaliation, may request a no-contact directive, and will be offered appropriate academic and housing accommodation. 


Was there a lapse in confidential resources between the program coordinator's departure and the Monday, Oct. 19 announcement of transition plans for OUSAP?

No. The OUSAP hotline was set to automatically refer people to the Counseling and Psychological Services Crisis Intervention Service (740-593-1616) over the weekend between Friday (the program coordinator's last day) and Monday (the day of the announcement). With this referral in place, there was no lapse in confidential resources available to students.

"This project was supported by Grant No. 2009-WA-AX-0003 awarded by the Office on Violence Against Women, U.S. Department of Justice. The opinions, findings, conclusions, and recommendations expressed in this publication/program/ exhibition are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Department of Justice, Office on Violence Against Women."