Social Work Internship
A placement at CPS includes seeing Ohio University student clients from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of concerns. Trainees will provide counseling to on-going individual clients, as well as crisis/drop-in coverage. The opportunity to process observe or co-facilitate a group is available. We at CPS believe that training future practitioners is part of our mission and therefore encourage you to participate in whatever activities we are engaged and which meet your own interests and/or career plans. We provide up to two hours of weekly one to one supervision per trainee. We also provide trainees with one and a half hours of weekly group supervision and continuing education through our Graduate Professional Seminar.
- A high quality training experience in a HIPAA- compliant environment.
- Flexibility and responsiveness to meet my individual training needs.
- Supervision from an appropriately licensed professional.
- A minimum 25% of training time will be spent in direct service provision.
We are pleased that you are considering a Social Work Internship at Counseling and Psychological Services (CPS). The following information may be of assistance to you in your consideration of CPS:
- You must have completed the social work foundation curriculum (BSW degree or first year of MSW) including theory, direct practice, and field coursework. Please identify your relevant practice coursework including the number of credit hours taken. Please also describe your prior experiences with interviewing and assessment.
- CPS placements are for a full academic year, starting during Fall Semester. Social Work interns are expected to be on site for 20 hours per week in Fall and 20 hours per week in Spring.
- All students will need to participate in a 1 1/2 hour, once a week Graduate Professional Seminar (GPS) seminar/group supervision as part of their placement. These will most likely to be held on Wednesday mornings. Please contact Rinda Scoggan (740-593-1616 or email@example.com) for details.
- In compliance with university standards, an iBT no less than one year old, with an overall minimum of 80, and a speaking portion score of 24-30 OR a SPEAK test score of 230 or above.
Candidates for placement at CPS should complete a Social Work Internship Application and email to Rinda Scoggan (firstname.lastname@example.org). Additional packets can be obtained at CPS or by e-mailing Rinda Scoggan (email@example.com). Your application should include:
- Application Form
- Departmental Permission Form
- Academic Experience Worksheet
- Your current Vita
- Two Letters of Reference (one preferably from your previous field instructor and/or your direct practice course instructor)
- An Unofficial Transcript
You may include any other material that you think may assist us in considering your application. If you meet the basic criteria for placement, you will be asked to interview with one or more CPS staff. Unfortunately, the number of students we can accommodate is limited and varies from year to year. Applications for a placement beginning Fall 2021 can be submitted during spring semester. Applications will be reviewed and candidates interviewed on a first come basis until our available placement slots are filled.
If you have questions or concerns, please contact:
- Rinda Scoggan, Assistant Training Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
The staff at Counseling and Psychological Services wishes you the very best in your chosen profession.
Thank you for your interest in CPS!