Ohio University

Eating Disorder Support Team

What is the Eating Disorder Support Team (EDST)?
The Eating Disorder Support Team is an interdisciplinary team comprised of physicians, a dietitian, counselors, psychologists, an athletic trainer (for student-athletes), and psychiatrists who help students with eating and/or body image concerns. The interdisciplinary team is designed to support students whose symptoms are currently stable but who need additional support to stay on track. Some students may need a higher level of care than the EDST is able to provide. When this occurs, EDST members will work with students to make referrals to other resources and treatment options.

Why see a Psychologist/Counselor?
Struggles with eating and body image are common on college campuses for people of all genders. Disordered eating behavior often develops out of an attempt to cope with stressors and with difficult feelings. A mental health professional can help you build healthier and more effective ways of coping, improve self-confidence, and create more satisfying relationships. A medication evaluation may be indicated to support a person’s recovery and a therapist can also discuss this option with you and refer you to psychiatry, if appropriate. A therapist can also refer you to a trainer at Ping Campus Recreation Center who works with students to develop a healthy movement and exercise plan. You can speak with a therapist by calling Counseling & Psychological Services at 740-593-1616 or by using drop-in hours at CPS. Please visit https://www.ohio.edu/student-affairs/counseling/drop-services for more information. 

Why see a Physician?
Many disordered eating behaviors lead to associated health problems such as bone and muscle loss, electrolyte imbalance, harmful metabolic changes, and gastrointestinal distress. A physician can assess your current health and can work with you to manage any complications. You can arrange to meet with a physician at Campus Care by calling 740-592-7100. When calling, ask to schedule an appointment with a physician who is familiar with eating disorders. Please contact Campus Care for information about fees.

Why see a Dietitian?
There are many myths about diet and eating that lead people to pursue weight loss or gain in ways that are harmful. A dietitian provides nutrition information, can help you evaluate your diet, and can help you move toward the normalization of eating. Students can make an appointment by calling the main desk of WellWorks (Grover Center, Room E124) at 740-593-2093. Please contact WellWorks for information about fees.

How can you access these services?
Students can seek services from any one, or all, of the providers listed above. Providers collaborate to make referrals to each other, as requested by the student. For example, a student might start off in counseling and then request a referral to the dietitian. Likewise, a student's first contact might be with the physician, and they might subsequently request a referral to counseling or to a psychiatrist. There is no required "point of entry" into the Eating Disorder Support Team; however, many students start by first making contact with a provider at Counseling & Psychological Services.

For more information:
Please contact a CPS senior staff member if you have further questions or inquiries about the support team. You can reach us by phone at 740-593-1616.