Counselor Education Traineeship
A placement at CPS includes seeing Ohio University student clients from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of concerns. Trainees will provide counseling to on-going individual clients, as well as crisis/drop-in coverage. The opportunity to process observe or co-facilitate a group is available. We at CPS believe that training future practitioners is part of our mission and therefore encourage you to participate in whatever activities we are engaged and which meet your own interests and/or career plans. We provide up to two hours of weekly one to one supervision per trainee. We also provide trainees with one and a half hours of weekly group supervision and continuing education through our Graduate Professional Seminar.
- A high quality training experience in a HIPAA- compliant environment.
- Flexibility and responsiveness to meet my individual training needs.
- Supervision from an appropriately licensed professional.
- A minimum 25% of training time will be spent in direct service provision.
We are pleased that you are considering a Counselor Trainee placement at Counseling and Psychological Services (CPS). The following information may be of assistance to you in your consideration of CPS:
- You must have completed an introductory course or its equivalent in interviewing skills before beginning your CPS placement. Please identify your relevant course work including number of credit hours taken, and prior experience in interviewing.
- You must have completed an introductory course or its equivalent in diagnosis prior to a CPS placement. Please identify your relevant course work including number of credit hours taken, as well as your prior experience in diagnosis.
- CPS placements are for a full academic year, starting in the summer. The summer will serve as practicum experience. Fall and Spring semester will constitute the internship experience.
- All students will need to participate in a 1.5 hour, once a week Graduate Professional Seminar (GPS) seminar/group supervision as part of their placement. These will most likely to be held on Wednesday mornings. Please contact the Counseling Department representative at CPS, Rinda Scoggan, firstname.lastname@example.org or call 740.593.1616 for details.
- In compliance with university standards, an iBT no less than one year old, with an overall minimum of 80, and a speaking portion score of 24-30 OR a SPEAK test score of 230 or above.
Candidates for placement at CPS should complete a Counselor Education Traineeship Application and return it (1) in person "ATT: Rinda Scoggan" to the Front Desk staff on the third floor of Hudson Health Center, or (2) via email to Rinda Scoggan (email@example.com). Additional packets can be obtained at CPS or by e-mailing (firstname.lastname@example.org). Your application should include:
- Application Form
- Departmental Permission Form
- Academic Experience Worksheet
- Your current Vita
- Two Letters of Reference (one preferably from your Foundations of Counseling professor),
- An Unofficial Transcript
You may include any other material that you think may assist us in considering your application. If you meet the basic criteria for placement, you will be asked to interview with one or more CPS staff. Unfortunately, the number of students we can accommodate is limited and varies from year to year. Applications for a placement beginning Spring 2021 will be due November 1st, 2020. Applications will be reviewed and candidates interviewed on a first come basis until our available placement slots are filled.
If you have questions or concerns, please contact:
- Rinda Scoggan, Assistant Training Director email@example.com
The staff at Counseling and Psychological Services wishes you the very best in your chosen profession.
Thank you for your interest in CPS!