Refer a Student
We invite you to refer students to career coaching, mock interviews, or leadership coaching in the Career & Leadership Development Center. To refer a student, show them how to set up an appointment through Handshake or share the CLDC website with them. Examples are below for when to refer students to the CLDC, though any related topic is appropriate for referral to our team.
- Confusion about which career opportunities relate to specific majors
- Needing greater self-awareness about personal skills, values, and interests
- Perfecting a resume, cover letter, or personal statement
- Uncertainty about how to find a job or internship
- Deciding whether graduate school is necessary
- Understanding and developing leadership skills
- Developing professional skills for effective interviewing
- Building a strategy for networking to gain experience and build contacts
- Using LinkedIn to build a brand and research alumni career paths
Whether or not you refer your student, you can facilitate career development conversations by using these questions to engage in discussion about goals and interests. These are all open-ended questions that reflect the approach we use in career and leadership coaching, Brain Based Career Development.
Exploring Career Interests
- What made you pick your major/concentration?
- If you could do anything you wanted after graduation, what would that be?
- Do you know anyone doing the sort of job you are interested in pursuing?
- What was your dream job before you got to college?
- Is there a career path your family is encouraging you to pursue?
Preparation and Search
- Have you thought about doing an internship to gain experience or test out a career area?
- What is your current strategy for finding an opportunity?
- What do you need to feel ready for a job after graduation?
- What is your backup plan if your first job idea does not work out?
- Who is supporting and encouraging you in your job search?
- Are you involved in any organizations on campus?
- What kind of jobs have you already had or do you have currently?
- What kind of experiences do you have already that would appeal to an employer?
- Bring your resume next time and we can see what great experiences you already have.