The tobacco free policy is enforceable on all property owned, leased or shared by the campus. Tobacco is defined as all tobacco-derived or containing products, including but not limited to; cigarettes (e.g., bidis, kreteks), electronic cigarettes, cigars and cigarillos, hookah smoked products, pipes and oral tobacco (e.g., spit and spit-less, smokeless, chew, snuff) and nasal tobacco. This ban includes any product intended to mimic tobacco products that contain tobacco flavoring or deliver nicotine other than for the purpose of cessation. This policy applies to employees, students, and visitors of Ohio University Southern.
Review and approval process outlined in “Reviewers/Approval Process” section of this document to be completed by April 15, 2015.
"No Tobacco/Smoking" signs or the international "No Smoking" symbol (consisting of a pictorial representation of a burning cigarette enclosed in a red circle with a red bar across it) shall be conspicuously posted at every Ohio University Southern building entrance. Signs shall be of sufficient size to be clearly legible to a person of unimpaired vision throughout the areas they are intended to mark.
All ashtrays and other receptacles used for disposing of smoking materials shall be removed from any area where smoking was previously allowed.
Policies and Procedures
2. Exceptions to this policy include:
- FDA approved nicotine replacement therapy will be allowed (e.g., patches, gum, inhalers, and lozenges).
- Tobacco use may be permitted for controlled research, educational, clinical, or religious ceremonial purposes with prior approval of the dean or director responsible for the facility.
- Signs posted in university facilities at all building entrances, or where signage is not possible, as indicated by a bobcat paw with the internationally recognized no-smoking symbol. Tobacco use is not permitted in any university-owned vehicles.
- Email notification
- the policy manual, and
- orientation or training.
5. Ohio University Southern prohibits tobacco use in university-owned or -rented vehicles.
6. No person shall discharge, refuse to hire, or in any manner retaliate against an individual for exercising any right, including reporting a violation, or performing any obligation under this policy; see also, Policy and Procedure 03.006, "Whistle-blowing and Retaliation."
7. No person shall refuse to immediately discontinue tobacco use in an Ohio University Southern controlled space, or outdoor area declared nonsmoking under this policy and ORC section 3794.05 when requested to do so by any Ohio University Southern representative or any employee of Ohio University Southern.
8. Lack of intent to violate a provision of the Ohio Smoking Law, ORC 3794, shall not be a defense to a violation.
9. Supervisors will discuss the issue of tobacco use/smoking breaks with their staff. Together they will develop effective solutions that do not interfere with the productivity of the staff.
10. Posted "No Tobacco/Smoking" signs shall not be obscured, removed, defaced, mutilated, or destroyed.
11. Any violation of this policy will be handled through the standard disciplinary procedure appropriate to the individual's relationship to the university (e.g., Judiciaries for students).
12. OUS is committed to assisting smokers and tobacco users if they choose to quit or cease tobacco use. Resources include but are not limited to:
- Smoking/Tobacco cessation programs for students/faculty/staff
- Ohio tobacco free initiative website: www.ohio.edu/tobacco-free