EMERGENCY MESSAGING SYSTEM
In the case of an emergency situation on campus or for weather related closures, information will be provided via the Emergency Messaging System. The emergency messaging system dispenses information via multiple media platforms (text message, email, and direct phone call).
The information system uses your contact information from your My OHIO account. Keep your My OHIO information updated to receive emergency notifications.
To ensure that you receive the most current emergency updates, please take a moment to update your personal information.
Additionally, if the emergency is a critical incident, or becomes a critical incident, you will find information through some or all of the following, depending on the incident and the conditions at the time:
- Campus Outdoor Alert System
- Wailing siren for weather emergencies and tri-tone siren for Armed Intruder Situation.
- Ohio University Southern homepage
- Your Ohio University e-mail
- Non-tech methods (on-the-ground teams, bullhorns, posted alerts, etc.)
AED and Fire Extinguisher Locations
Please see the floor plans below for an illustration of the Automatic Emergency Defibrillators (AED) and Fire Extinguisher locations.
Emergency Shelter for Hazardous Weather Conditions
The Campus Outdoor Alert System warning siren will sound (wailing type siren) followed by a live voice message stating :
"THIS IS NOT A DRILL, REMAIN INSIDE BUILDINGS, AN EMERGENCY WEATHER CONDITION EXISTS. PLEASE PROCEED TO THE NEAREST DESIGNATED EMERGENCY SHELTER LOCATION".
- Emergency shelter areas are located in corridors and other areas away from glass and marked by this sign.
- See this map for a location of the Emergency Shelter locations within each building. (provide link to map)
Upcoming Emergency Training
- AED/CPR Certification Training – Dates to be announced
- Emergency Response Training – Dates to be announced
- Fire extinguisher use training for all staff
- Staff self-dense training
- New Student Worker, Self Defense and safety training
- Emergency Response briefing at all orientations and on-line orientations.
- OUPD Active Shooter Training