Interacting with Media for Non-Journalists
The media has changed more in the past ten years than it did in the previous 60, becoming more pervasive in our daily lives and an integral part of almost everything we do professionally. Media training has never been more important than it is today, especially when it’s infused with a social media perspective. Whatever the context, great media skills are often seen as essential for personal and corporate success (while mediocre to poor skills may spell disaster). This certificate will provide you with that critical step on the career ladder.
per credit hour
for Ohio residents
Who should apply?
This certificate is ideal for early to mid-career professionals who need media training to improve their on-the-job media interactions and messaging skills. You will learn to:
- Improve your skills and understanding of the media
- Become more successful at communicating through reporters
- Use media without going through reporters
- Communicate through social media and other channels
- Advance a personal or professional brand
A 5% scholarship is available for alumni and military service members
- COMM 5012: Media for Non-Journalists Seminar – Gain an overview of media, media messaging, translating terms and findings, message delivery and some best practices on how to give an effective interview.
- COMM 5400: Media Today and Tomorrow – You’ll be introduced to the changing media landscape and how business professionals, non-profits and average citizens are redefining it. Learn how to be a good source for positive public information and how to create your own understandable media messages.
- COMM 5410: Media Messaging – Learn to synthesize complex business concepts or personal messages into cogent media messages for public consumption. Develop message targeting, delivery and personal branding skills.
- COMM 5420: Mastering the Media Interview – Focus on best practices for being interviewed and avoiding pitfalls. Topics include creating sound bites, elevator pitches and understandable descriptions for the interview. Through mock interviews, you’ll hone your own techniques both verbally and non-verbally and learn to maximize messaging.
Here to Help
Paula Linscott, Senior Partnerships Manager in the Scripps College of Communication, can assist you with the application process. You can reach out to Paula any time with questions. We look forward to hearing from you!