MFA Program: Apply
How to Apply
The deadline for international applicants is February 1.
The deadline for domestic applicants is February 1.
To apply, you must have a bachelor’s degree and a minimum of three years of professional work experience in one area of media production.
Applicants must submit the following materials with your online application:
- A focused Letter of Intent defining:
a) Your area of media expertise,
b) Two media areas you propose to explore in our program,
c) An explanation of why you are applying to the MFA in Communication Media Arts.
Additional details might include:
d) The cognate area you are considering outside of production
e) Faculty members that you wish to work with during your course of study
f) Explanation of your teaching experiences to date
g) Additional insights into your graduate and professional intentions
- Three letters of reference, sent by the references separately.
- Curriculum vita or resume, which should include any and all teaching experience.
- Portfolio demonstrating professional excellence in one particular media production area. All links to your portfolio pieces should be submitted in a single document, accompanied by a 100-200-word description of your role in the project(s). This can be submitted as a link in the online application system.
- All students whose native language is not English, and who do not have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education in the United States, are required to demonstrate English language competency by achieving an adequate score on the IELTS: International English Language Testing System or TOEFL: The Test of English as a Foreign Language.
Current minimum score requirements is a TOEFL of:
Old Score: 600
New Score: 100
- *Applicants are not required to take the GRE.*
To apply, you will need to:
- Submit completed application materials
- Pay the application fee
- Arrange for two official transcripts from each post-secondary institution attended to be sent to the Graduate College at Ohio University
- Apply online at the Graduate Services site: (www.ohio.edu/graduate/apply/)
Only applicants who have submitted all materials will receive consideration. A campus visit prior to the application deadline is strongly recommended. Applicants are usually notified of admission decisions by March 15.
Contact Graduate Director Stan Alost (firstname.lastname@example.org) for additional information, questions or alternative portfolio submission options.