Greek Housing Policy
Ohio University has a special relationship with fraternity and sorority chapters. As part of that special relationship, the university allows sophomore students to be exempted from the on-campus housing policy. In order to maintain this exemption, chapters must comply with certain rules and expectations.
Chapters are required to:
1. Schedule, conduct, and pass an annual house inspection conducted by the Department of Environmental Health and Safety (EHS). Chapter presidents or designated officers are responsible for contacting EHS directly at 593-1666 to schedule an inspection.
- All inspections must be completed by September 1. Chapter houses must be in compliance with all safety standards by this date or sophomore members planning to reside in the house will be required to move into approved, on-campus housing for that academic year.
- Chapter presidents or designated officers may begin scheduling house inspections on April 15. All house inspections must be scheduled by May 1. Failure to schedule a house inspection by May 1 will cause a chapter to forfeit participation in any and all Greek Week activities for that year.
- Staff members from the Department of Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) will inspect all public areas of the chapter house, sleeping rooms, the kitchen and utility/storage rooms, as well as the outdoor property.
- The house director and the undergraduate house manager (or designated officer) must be present at the time of the inspections. After completion of the inspection, an original copy of the Greek Housing Inspection Report will be left with the house director, the undergraduate house manager, or designated officer.
- If the house has not passed the initial inspection, a representative of the chapter will be required to respond to EHS in writing within three (3) working days of the inspection outlining plans to bring the house to compliance. If EHS does not receive communication within three (3) working days, EHS may recommend to Campus Life that the process be started to remove the house from the list of authorized chapter houses.
- If the house did not pass the initial inspection and written communication was received by EHS within three (3) working days, an unannounced follow-up inspection will be conducted by EHS on or shortly after two weeks from the date of the initial inspection. A copy of the Greek Housing Inspection Report of the follow-up inspection will be left with a representative of the chapter. If no one is present to receive the report, the copy of the follow-up inspection report will be posted on the outside of the front door of the chapter house.
- EHS will also provide copies of all reports to Campus Life which will mail them to the chapter's advisor and housing corporation contact (as currently listed with Campus Life).
- EHS reserves the right to make unscheduled inspections in addition to the annual scheduled inspection.
- Chapter houses that do not pass inspection after the follow-up inspection or do not have an approved correction plan in place will be removed from the authorized list of chapter houses kept on file with Campus Life and the Housing Office. Sophomore members of these chapters will be required to move back into approved, on-campus housing for that academic year.
- Chapters that remain out of compliance will be referred to the City Code Enforcement Office for potential closure.
2. Conduct at least one fire drill within the first two (2) weeks of each quarter. A form must be completed and filed with the Department of Environmental Health and Safety, 274 University Service Center, within two (2) weeks of the date of the fire drill.
The form is available on-line at http://www.ohio.edu/campuslife/greek/index.cfm.
Failure to conduct a fire drill within the first two weeks of a quarter will automatically initiate the process to remove the chapter from the authorized list of chapter houses kept on file with Campus Life and the Housing Office. Sophomore members of chapters are not allowed to reside in unauthorized chapter houses.
3. Have a house director live in the chapter house from the first day of school in the fall to the last day in the spring. A copy of this person's contract must be on file in Campus Life, 204 Baker University Center, no later than 4 pm on Friday of the 4th week of fall quarter.
4. Maintain safety of chapter house sleeping rooms. Each room must have a working smoke detector and a designated individual from the chapter should complete regular safety inspections of these sleeping rooms.
Failure to comply with the above guidelines will result in the loss of exemption from Ohio University policy that requires sophomores to live in University residence halls. Campus Life will notify chapters in writing if they fail to meet the minimum safety standards for chapter housing. Appeals may be made by the chapter in writing to the Director of Student Activities within five (5) working days of notification of non-compliance. The Director of Campus Life will consider the appeal and will respond in writing to the chapter within five (5) working days.