Proposal Assistance & Pre-Award Administration
ORSP Pre-Award Grants and Contracts Managers collaborate with Ohio University faculty and staff on the development of grant proposals. Pre-Award staff will help you with access and use of the various submission systems. They focus on:
- budget construction
- budget justification
- appropriate projections of multi-year budgets
- inter- and intra-institutional collaborations
- coordination of submission with research administrators at collaborating institutions
- locating and completing application packages and forms
- adherence to and interpretation of proposal guidelines
- document formatting
- obtaining institutional letters of support
Please note: It is not necessary to have a complete draft of the proposal in hand to initiate discussion. Grants and Contracts Managers are assigned to specific departments to efficiently accommodate the needs of researchers and sponsors. Contact Pre-Award Managers: Judi Rioch, 740.593.9985, email@example.com, or Bethany Spurrier, 740.593.9750, firstname.lastname@example.org according to the manager departmental assignments.
Proposal Development Resources
The following resources are intended to support faculty and staff as they prepare grant proposals.
- Navigating Research Administration at Ohio University is an online publication that provides a comprehensive look at research administration at Ohio University.
- Budget Preparation & Templates
- Statistical Data of Ohio University and the Appalachian Region Related to Your Proposal
- Institutional Identifiers & Commonly Requested Information: general information often requested on application cover sheets and budgets.
- Facilities & Administrative Cost Rate Agreement and Distribution: F&A costs, also known as indirect costs, are negotiated with the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), the federal cognizant agency for Ohio University.
- Consultant vs. Employee: quick reference providing general definitions and rules of thumb for classifying individuals as independent contractors or university employees.
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Letter Regarding Tax Exempt Status (2010)
- Ohio University Self-Insurance Letter (2004)
- Sample Letters of Participation for Subcontracts: If you have included a subcontract to another institution in your proposal, Ohio University requires a signed letter of participation from their Research Office, or the equivalent. This form must be signed by the authorized institutional official, not the Principal Investigator (PI). Please contact ORSP for more information on dealing with subcontracts.
- Access LEO Transmittal Form: Prior to submitting a proposal, the electronic Transmittal Form (eTF) must be completed in LEO. The eTF communicates the information essential for review (e.g., project personnel and distribution of responsibility, budget request, need for IRB or IACUC review) by the appropriate signatories. To complete the eTF, sign into LEO using your oak ID and password, select 'E-transmittal', click on 'Transmittal System', and choose 'Create a New Transmittal.' The Pre-Award Managers can assist you at any time in the process of completing the eTF if you have questions or need additional information.
Faculty Research Support
The Office of the Vice President for Research provides faculty support for research through the following internal programs:
- The Faculty Research Support Program provides tenure track faculty funding to carry out their research, scholarship, and creative activities.
For questions concerning general rules and procedures, please contact Stephanie Kearns, Administrative Associate, at 740.593.0378 or email@example.com.