Registrar Banner

General Information

Certification of benefits is a service provided by the Veterans Coordinator in the Office of the University Registrar. The office serves as a liaison between Ohio University student veterans and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. We assist student veterans with the processing of VA forms for educational benefits, advise student veterans concerning certain procedural requirements, and certify enrollment of Ohio University student veterans to the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Getting VA Benefits Started at Ohio University

Please read the information below on Student Veterans Responsibilities.

The following information applies to new and continuing student veterans seeking enrollment certification for educational benefits.

New applicants should determine which chapter you will receive educational benefits using the chapter information provided below.

  • Continuing students will receive an email notice each spring to complete the Veterans Educational Assistance File card  The form must be submitted online. Contact the Veterans Coordinator with questions.

Under What Chapter Am I Claiming Benefits?

Reserve GI Bill - Chapter 1606
Any person who enlists, re-enlists, or extends an enlistment in the Selective Reserve for not less than 6 years, in addition to any other period of obligation after June 30, 1985, and completed high school of GED, IADT, 180 days of service in the selective reserve and is satisfactorily participating in require training in the selective reserve. For more information on the Reserve GI Bill select benefits.

Activated Reservists After September 11, 2001 - Chapter 1607
Certain reservists who were activated after September 11, 2001, may either be eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits. For more information on Chapter 1607 select education benefits.

Montgomery (New) GI Bill - Chapter 30
Entered Active Duty after June 30, 1985. Completed at least 2 years continuous active service; contributed $1200 to the program; received a high school diploma or GED; and received an honorable discharge. For more information on the Montgomery GI Bill select benefits.

Vocational Rehabilitation - Chapter 31
Veterans who have been declared disabled by the Department of Veterans Affairs due to service related injury. For more information on Vocational Rehabilitation contact your case manager.

Post-9/11 GI Bill - Chapter 33
New benefit implemented on or about August 1, 2009, that provides educational assistance to individuals who have served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001. Persons eligible for Chapters 30 or REAP benefits may elect to receive benefits under this new Post-9/11 GI Bill.  For more information please visit the following website:

Dependents Educational Assistance - Chapter 35
This portion of 38 U.S.C. authorizes educational benefits to dependents and survivors of certain veterans who have serious disabilities as the result of their service, (100% disabled), or who have died of a service-connected cause, were a prisoner of war, or missing in action. For more information on Dependents Educational Assistance select benefits.


Required Forms

VA 22-1990 Application for Education Benefits

  • New applicants of all chapters except CH 35
  • Document needed from CH 30 - DD-214

VA 22-5490 Application for Survivors' and Dependents' Education Assistance

  • New CH 35 applicants only

VA 22-1995 Request for Change of Program or Place of Training

  • Students under all chapters, except CH 31 and CH 35, who are transferring VA benefits to Ohio University

VA 22-5495 Request for Change of Program or Place of Training

  • Students under CH 35 who are transferring VA benefits to Ohio University

Select the appropriate link to obtain the forms listed below:

Ohio University Veterans Educational Assistance File Card

  • All students using GI Bill education benefits

Change of Address

  • Veterans must notify the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and the Veterans Coordinator of any address change. If you are currently receiving benefits or have received benefits in the last year, the WAVE system can be used to update your address with the Department of Veterans Affairs. All Ohio University students are responsible for updating their address.

Education Benefit Payment Rates

For payment information select Education Benefit Payment Rates.

Student Veterans-Responsibilities

The Department of Veterans Affairs and the Veterans Coordinator at Ohio University closely monitor each student veteran's enrollment status and academic program. The student's educational benefit is based upon the number of credit hours applicable to his/her academic degree program.

Student veterans at Ohio University have the following responsibilities:

Veterans are required to complete the Veterans Educational Assistance File Card at the beginning of each fall and summer semester, or the semester in which they begin receiving educational benefits.

The Veterans Administration must be notified within 30 days of changes in your enrollment status.  Please contact the Veterans Coordinator if:

  • you terminate attendance
  • you change credit hours
  • you withdraw or stop attending a course
  • you attend a course but receive an Incomplete (I) grade
  • you change educational program
  • you change address or phone number
  • your status changes to active duty

Reminders: (If you have any questions, contact the Veterans Coordinator)

  • You must maintain satisfactory progress to retain benefits.
  • You are prohibited from receiving educational benefits for auditing a course.
  • You will not receive benefits for repeated courses, unless they are graduation requirements.
  • You must be formally admitted as a degree-seeking student after completing two semesters.
  • Register only for courses that are required for completion of your selected degree.
  • Do not register in courses for which you have previously received a passing grade/credit (even if taken at another institution).

As a recipient of Educational Benefits:

  • You are eligible for payment of remedial courses if placement test scores justify the need.
  • Any overpayments incurred are your responsibility and not the responsibility of the Veterans Coordinator nor the Office of the University Registrar.

What to do if Called to Active Duty

Registered students called to active duty during the course of a semester or session should follow the guidelines in Ohio University Policy & Procedure 12.060: Students Called to Active Duty.

How do I return to Ohio University?

If you have attended Ohio University previously and wish to return:

Step 1

  • Undergraduate students - contact the Office of the University Registrar, first floor lobby, Chubb Hall, or your regional campus student services office for assistance. Students who have attended since 1985 must complete the Re-enrollment Form. Students who have not attended since 1985 must complete the Application for Re-enrollment.
  • Graduate students - contact the Graduate College, Research and Technology Center, Room 220.

Step 2

Contact the Veterans Coordinator to get your VA benefits started.

Academic Advising and Success

The Coordinator of Veterans' Academic Services is available to discuss your concerns or ideas regarding campus policies, procedures, or programming; withdrawal before deployment; and re-enrollment after deployment.  Visit for more information.

Other Programs

Tutorial Assistance Program
Tutorial assistance is available if you are receiving VA education assistance at the half-time or more rate and have a deficiency in a subject making tutoring necessary. If you have questions on this program please contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at their toll-free number 1.888.442.4551.

Work Study Program
This program is available to any student receiving VA education benefits who is attending school three-quarter time or more. An individual working under this program may work at the school veterans' office, VA Regional Office, VA Medical Facilities, or at approved State employment offices. Work-study students are paid at either the state or Federal minimum wage, whichever is greater. If you have questions on this program contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at their toll-free number 1.888.442.4551.

Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office

Eligibility and payment questions should be directed to the Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office at:

Department of Veterans Affairs
VA Regional Office
P.O. Box 66830
St. Louis, MO 63166-6830
1.888.GI.BILL.1 (1.888.442.4551)

Ohio University Veterans Coordinator

If you have any questions or concerns, contact the Veterans Coordinator during normal office hours:

Veterans Coordinator
Baker University Center, Suite 350
1 Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701
Phone: 740.566.VETS (8387)
Fax: 740.593.4145

Ohio University Military Personnel & Veterans

Additional information to assist Ohio National Guardsman, military reservists, and veterans currently enrolled or working at Ohio University is available on the OHIO Military Personnel & Veterans Web site.

Government Web Sites 

  • Ohio Department of Veterans Services - The department links veterans to their federal and state benefit application process at all 88 county veterans service offices.  Social media and veterans news updates are also available.


Tasha Hutchison revised this page on October 28, 2015. Please email comments or suggestions to

Ohio University
Athens, Ohio 45701
(740) 593-1000
All Rights Reserved