Satisfactory Grade opt in and other policy changes
From: OHIO Registrar <email@example.com>
Sent: Monday, April 20, 2020 8:43 AM
To: Enrolled Students for Spring Semester
Subject: Satisfactory Grade opt in and other policy changes
We hope that your transition to remote learning for Spring Semester has gone as smoothly as possible. Ohio University understands that there may have been disruption for some of you and that the grades this semester may not reflect your actual abilities.
In the past few weeks, several policy changes have been made to support you in your academic endeavors.
1. The last day to withdraw from (drop) a full-semester class has been extended to April 24, 2020. To withdraw from an individual class go to MyOHIO Student Center to drop the class. The class will remain on your academic record with a withdraw grade that does not impact your GPA. If you need to withdraw from your last class, please contact your college or regional campus student services office.
2. An alternate grading system has been approved. If the course you are enrolled in is not on the exempted course list, the following apply:
- You may opt in (on a class-by-class basis) to have an earned A through C- grade convert automatically to the Satisfactory (S) grade. S grades will not impact your GPA and will meet all requisite, major, minor, certificate, and degree requirements.
- The deadline to opt in for the S grade is May 13, 2020, at 5:00 PM. You may opt in beginning today through MyOHIO Student Center . Please see image below.
- Any D+, D, and D- grade will convert automatically to S, if the course is not on the exempted course list. (You do not need to opt in for this to happen.)
- Any F grade will automatically convert to No Credit (NC), if the course is not on the exempted course list. No Credit grades will not impact your GPA. (You do not need to opt in for this to happen.)
- FN and FS grades will remain unchanged.
3. Dean’s List has been modified to account for students who may elect some Satisfactory grades. To be eligible for Dean’s List at the end of the Spring Semester 2019-20, you must earn a 3.5 GPA for the Spring Semester and have attempted at least six semester hours for letter grades (A-F) and earned at least twelve hours.
4. Incomplete grades assigned at the end of the Spring Semester 2019-20 will be extended to the last day of class of the Fall 2020-2021 semester. (Normally you would have only two weeks to complete the work for an Incomplete grade.)
5. You will not be placed on academic probation even if your accumulative GPA falls below 2.0. However, if you are currently on probation you may be removed if your accumulative GPA reaches 2.0 or above.
We hope these changes in policy for this Spring Semester 2019-20 will provide some relief as you complete the semester. Please visit the FAQ for additional information.
We hope that you are staying safe and healthy, and wish you the very best as you finish out the Spring Semester.
Debra M. Benton