Fall Semester 2020-21 Grades, Satisfactory Grade Opt In, and other policies
From: OHIO Registrar <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2020 8:00 AM
To: Undergraduate students enrolled Fall Semester 2020-21
Subject: Fall Semester 2020-21 Grades, Satisfactory Grade Opt In and other policies
We hope your Fall Semester has gone as smoothly as possible. Ohio University understands there may have been disruption for some of you and the grades assigned this semester may not reflect your actual abilities.
Given the disruption, you may be interested in the Satisfactory grade option.
1. An alternate grading system was approved for Fall Semester 2020-21. If the course in which you are enrolled is not on the exempted course list, the following apply:
- You may opt in ( on a class-by-class basis) to have an earned A through C- grade convert automatically to the Satisfactory (S) grade. S grades will not affect your GPA and will meet all requisite, major, minor, certificate, and degree requirements. You may opt in once you see your final grade in your MyOHIO Student Center.
- The deadline to opt in for the S grade is December 18, 2020, at 5:00 PM Eastern. You may opt in now in MyOHIO Student Center.
- Any D+, D, and D- grade will convert automatically to S, if the course is not on the exempted course list. (You do not need to opt in for this to happen.)
- Any earned F grade will automatically convert to No Credit (NC), if the course is not on the exempted course list. NC grades have no impact on your GPA. (You do not need to opt in for this to happen.)
- FN and FS grades will remain unchanged and continue to impact your GPA.
More information about the Satisfactory Grade Opt In Process is available online.
2. Dean’s List was modified to account for students who may elect some Satisfactory grades. To be eligible for Dean’s List at the end of Fall Semester 2020-21, you must earn a 3.5 GPA for Fall Semester and have attempted at least six semester hours for letter grades (A-F) and earned at least twelve semester hours.
3. Incomplete grades assigned at the end of Fall Semester 2020-21 will be extended until the last day of class of Spring Semester 2020-2021. (Normally you would have only two weeks to complete the work for an Incomplete grade.)
4. You will not be placed on academic probation even if your accumulative GPA falls below 2.0. However, if you are currently on probation you may be removed if your accumulative GPA reaches 2.0 or above.
We hope these changes in policy for this Fall Semester 2020-21 will provide some relief as you complete the semester. Please visit the FAQ for additional information.
We hope that you are staying safe and healthy, and wish you the very best. Grades will be finalized Friday evening and will be available to you on Saturday, December 19.
Debra M. Benton