Learn to Play Hockey
Come out and join us for our biannual try hockey events. Where your child can enjoy the thrill of learningthegameoficehockeywith our ACHA D1 and D2 Hockey Teams. It is completely free to try and equipment and skates are provided. If you enjoy your time we encourage you to sign up for our Learn to Play Hockey Sessions.
1st 6 Week Session:
- Try Hockey for FREE - Wednesday, Sept. 7th, 6:05-8:05pm – Posters in the rink
- 1st Day - Wednesday, Sept. 14th, 6:05-6:55pm
- Last Day - Wednesday, Oct. 19th, 6:05-6:55pm
- Jamboree #1 - Sunday, Oct. 9th, 1:00-2:00pm
- Jamboree #2 - Sunday, Oct. 16th, 1:00-2:00pm
2nd 6 Week Session:
- Try Hockey for FREE - Monday, Oct. 24th, 6:05-8:05pm – Posters in the rink
- 1st Day - Wednesday, Oct. 26th, 6:05-6:55pm
- Last Day - Wednesday, Dec. 7th, 6:05-6:55pm
- Week Off Thanksgiving - Wednesday, Nov. 23rd
- Jamboree #1 - Sunday, Nov. 20th, 1:00-2:00pm
- Jamboree #2 - Sunday, Dec. 4th, 1:00-2:00pm
3rd 6 Week Session:
- Try Hockey for FREE - Wednesday, Jan. 18th, 6:05-8:05pm – Posters in the rink
- 1st Day - Wednesday, Jan. 25th, 6:05-6:55pm
- Last Day - Wednesday, March 1st, 6:05-6:55pm
- Jamboree #1 - Sunday, Feb. 12th, 1:00-2:00pm
- Jamboree #2 - Sunday, March 5th, 1:00-2:00pm
Day of the week & Time:
- Wednesday, 6:05-7:55pm
Each 6 Week Session Includes:
- 6 Instructional Ice Sessions
- 2 Mini-Game Ice Sessions
- All Rental Equipment
Spring Jamboree: Each session we will hold two jamborees open for any LTPH student, Mite, or Mini Mite. We divide the ice into three sections and split the kids up according to their skating ability. Teams will scrimmage against each other, and kids will learn how to play on a team
To teach the fundamentals of skating and hockey while creating an environment that cultivates fun and learning. During the instructional session time, students will be taught how to control their edges, skate forwards and backwards, pass and shoot a puck, and many more things. During the "game time", students will be able to use their newly acquired skills in a half-ice hockey game which will be monitored by coaches and staff!
Ohio University D-II Head Coach, Philip Oberlin will be teaching the "Learn To Play Hockey" program this year. Philip played college ACHA Division I Hockey at Ohio University.
Bird Arena will be providing equipment to those participants who do not have their own. This equipment is to be returned to Bird Arena at the end of the session, unless the skater is already enrolled in the next session. Rental skates will also be provided at the start of each lesson time at no cost, courtesy of Bird Arena. Skates must be returned at the end of every day.