For the past several months, a team with representation from all campuses and across the shared governance structure have worked with One OHIO co-chairs Dr. Nicole Pennington, Interim Executive Dean of the Regional Campuses, and Dr. Brad Cohen, Chief Strategy and Innovation Officer, to finalize key recommendations of the RHE Study Committee. Two significant recommendations were presented to and approved by the Board of Trustees in January 2020 and will move into implementation this spring semester:
- Regional Higher Education Program Alignment – At its January 2020 meeting, the Ohio University Board of Trustees approved alignment of Regional Higher Education programs to appropriate academic colleges beginning with the 2020-2021 academic year. Implementation of the plan will begin during Spring Semester 2020. Program alignments are based on discipline or area of expertise.
- Faculty Alignment – In addition, the alignment of RHE faculty with appropriate schools or departments on the Athens campus is in process in accordance with the procedures outlined in the Faculty Handbook.
In addition, a new leadership structure for RHE is in final review to be announced in future updates. The new structure, proposed by the RHE Study Committee, aligns with campus and community requests to maintain strong leadership on each campus and with the changing University expectations about the nature of these roles.
Finally, the One OHIO co-chairs have made updates to the eleven workstreams formed in June 2019 in response to feedback and to assure appropriate shared governance.
Eleven workstreams began their efforts to address the One OHIO recommendations in June 2019. Membership on each workstream included faculty, staff, and/or administrators from the regional campuses and the Athens campus.
- Seven workstreams continue working toward their goals.
- Accreditation & Regulatory Compliance: working on recommendation report
- Instructional Efficiency, Phase 1: preparing to implement scheduling process in collaboration and coordination with RHE and department chairs in Athens
- Faculty Integration: preparing to present initial recommendations to academic leadership; piloting recommendations with two departments
- Administrative Efficiency: developing LEAN proposal
- Course/Program Approval Process Redesign: reviewing OCEAN data
- New/Expanded Programming: conducting market research
- Engagement Ecosystem: conducting regional campus listening tours with campus and community stakeholders
Four workstreams are now retired, due to completing their initial charge, merging with Strategic Framework initiatives.
- Communication and Community Relations: initial goals completed
- OULN / Infrastructure Analysis: merged with Digital Transformation
- Student Services Efficiency: merged with Student Success
- Promotion & Tenure / Faculty Handbook: redirected to Faculty Senate
Stakeholders across the University community continue to submit thoughtful questions and ideas about how this work should proceed, and these questions and ideas are being used by University leadership, strategic initiative co-leads, and workstream co-chairs to identify and prioritize next steps. If you have ideas to help advance the One OHIO strategy integration, visit https://www.ohio.edu/one-ohio/contact.
Questions may also be directed to respective One OHIO Workstream Co-Leads:
Accreditation and Regulatory Compliance
- Deborah Marinski, Associate Professor of History
- Loralyn Taylor, Associate Provost for Institutional Research
- Todd Myers, Chair and Professor of Engineering Technology and Management
- Rosanna Howard, Director of Budget and Operations for Regional Higher Education
Course and Program Approval Process Redesign
- Sara Helfrich, Associate Professor of Teacher Education
- Kristi Barnes, Associate Professor of Psychology
- Mary Nally, Director of the Center for Campus and Community Engagement
- Laurie Lach, Director of Development and External Affairs
- Dev Poling, Associate Professor of Arts and Sciences
- Linda Rice, Chair and Professor of English
Instructional Efficiency (Phase 1)
- Sarah Poggione, Associate Professor and Associate Dean of Students, Instruction, and Curriculum for Arts and Sciences
- Carissa Anderson, Assistant Dean of Regional Higher Education
New and Expanded Programming
- Jeremy Webster, Dean of Zanesville Campus and Interim Dean of Eastern Campus
- Deb Benton, University Registrar