Bentley Hall with Annex

Advising Resources 

Advising in the Political Science Department

  • Distribution of RAC codes have been replaced by an online registration system. Each quarter, your faculty advisor will clear you to register (or make arrangements to have you cleared by department staff). Most students do not need to contact a faculty advisor specifically to request that a registration hold be cleared; however, all freshmen and all students on academic probation are required to make an appointment with his/her advisor.
  • If you have questions about Political Science (POLS) requirements, specific POLS courses, POLS sponsored awards and programs, etc, you can: (a) visit the POLS website; (b) visit your faculty advisor during office hours; or (c) contact your advisor by email. Some advisors will prefer that you visit in person, others prefer email.
  • Office hours are blocks of time faculty set aside for one-on-one meetings with students. These times are posted each quarter outside your advisor's office door. Office hours are held on a drop-in/first-come, first-served basis. Most faculty advisors have offices on the second floor of Bentley Annex, but a few are in other buildings. There is a directory on the POLS website and outside the department office.
  • Your POLS advisor is unlikely to be in a position to help with your minor or second major; go to talk to a faculty member in the host department.

Advising in the college of Arts & Sciences

  • For general College requirements (e.g. distribution), go to Walk-in Wednesday at the College of Arts & Sciences (CAS) Student Affairs office (first floor of Wilson Hall Administration Bldg. 9-11:00 am and 1-4:00 pm).
  • You should meet with a CAS advisor part way through your junior year--and no later than spring of junior year--to perform an initial graduation check. If you are missing requirements, you will need time to make them up during the senior year and/or spring of the junior year. CAS advisors will likely suggest that you return during the senior year for a final check. 
  • For language requirements, speak with an advisor in the CAS Student Affairs office, or contact an advisor in the relevant language department:
    • the Department of Modern Languages for French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish
    • the Linguistics Department for Arabic, Chinese, Hindi, Indonesian, Japanese, Kikuyu, Khmer, Somali, Sudanese Arabic, Swahili, Thai, Twi, Vietnamese, Wolof, and Zulu
    • the Department of Classics and World Religions for Greek or Latin (contact: Bill Owens Ellis 210)
    • American Sign Language (contact: Becky Brooks
  • For transfer credit, meet or speak with Randy Price at the CAS Student Affairs Office ( or 740-593-2844).

General University Resources

  • If you are having mental health or other personal problems affecting your academic work, you are welcome to consult with your faculty advisor. Help is also available through Counseling and Psychological Services at Hudson Health Center. For major crises affecting completion of academic courses, students should contact the Office of the Dean of Students.

Office Locations and Contact Information

Political Science

266 Bentley Annex

College of Arts & Sciences (CAS) Undergraduate Student Affairs Office

First floor of Wilson Hall Administration Bldg.

Department of Modern Languages
283 Gordy Hall

Department of Linguistics
383 Gordy Hall

Counseling and Psychological Services
Third floor of Hudson Health Center

Office of the Dean of Students

345 Baker Center